Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 850C II Need Fuel System Help…PLEASE

jlittle2212 ยท 2015-08-04 18:47

Got a JD850C Series 2. Sent the fuel pump off for rebuild. When the pump came back, the engine wouldn't start. It would crank, idle up for about 2 seconds and then die. Then, out of no where it started up and ran for three days. Now its down again. The timing has been double and triple checked. No issues there. Sent the pump back off to the rebuild shop, they say there is nothing wrong with the pump. The machine ran before rebuild. Just had a weak pump that we wanted rebuilt. If you cycle the key from on to start quickly, the machine will keep running after the initial crank, but its max idle. I need HELP!!!! This fuel pump does not have the speed sensor inside the pump, this is the newer setup.

Replies5
  1. #1jlittle22122015-08-07 22:43

    No one knows about these systems or has any ideas????

  2. #2thepumpguysc2015-08-08 09:26

    GIVE ME THE #'S OFF THE name plate on the inj. pump and maybe we can get started.??

  3. #3GregsHD2015-08-08 12:32

    I had a similar problem with a JD 310SG, didn't touch the fuel system though. The connector at the ECU is of poor design and apparently doesn't seal all that well, pulled it off to find corroded pins on ECU, cleaned it up and tightened connections on plug end then slathered in dielectric grease. Been starting/working fine 3 years and counting. Worth a check, my thought was when the pump was re&re'd maybe the ECU wiring got wiggled a bit?? I'm assuming this is an electronic controlled 6081?? If it is are there any service codes? I'll never understand why they take a perfectly good mechanical engine and bugger it up with "magic" boxes.... ointhead

  4. #4GregsHD2015-08-08 14:32

    I found this PDF manual, has troubleshooting and service code info near the bottom. www.nauticon.nl/maritime-manuals/?theDLfile=JD6081 Operation.pdf

  5. #5jlittle22122015-08-08 16:15

    Good info Gregs. This is an electronic controlled 6081. There are NO service codes. The two plugs on the fuel pump itself, on has 2 wires for your on/off solenoid. The other is a five wire connector. Two wires are bogus (for older pumps with speed sensor in them) the others I think are 16 and 17. I am not sure where these wires goto. I was trying to find the fuel shutoff diode but have had no luck as the service manual shows it, but its not in that place on my machine. That sounds like a good place Greg. I guess what has thrown me off is where the machine started and ran fine before removing the pump.