Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 850 steering

rlbz71 ยท 2015-08-03 10:28

I have a case 850 dozer. After I work it for about 3 or 4 hrs I start having steering issues. For example, if I want to turn right, I shift the left track from low speed to high speed but it stays in low speed. I work the lever a few times and it finally shifts to high speed. Doesn't lose power to tracks but just doesn't want to change speeds. Anyone have any suggestions ??

Replies2
  1. #1alrman2015-08-04 18:25

    Welcome to HEF rlbz71! Does the transmission pressure gauge still work? When you are at operating temp, at an idle, click between ranges. The pressure should be the same in each range & the time taken to change should also be the same. You likely have oil control ring problems, located in the end caps of the transmission shafts. Hi/Low are at the front behind the brake housings. If the transmission has been used a long time like this, the clutch packs are often cooked. Have you had the suction screen out? First place to look to see if any major contamination has happened.

  2. #2rlbz712015-08-04 21:41

    Got this dozer last year just for some projects around the farm. Haven't really used it that much. I changed all the fluids and filters at the time I got it. There was a small amount of stuff in the suction screen but not a lot. I have no way of knowing when was the last time it had been cleaned but from the looks of other things it had been a while. Just like you, I was thinking of looking at the oil control rings first and moving on from there if need be. I'm new at this so I thank you for the info. I always like to get all the info I can before I tear into something.