I am looking at buying a new scraper tractor, does anyone have any experience with these two tractors jd 9510r or the challenger 965c. I currently have a jd 9520 that I like but wanted some input mainly on the challenger. I will be pulling 2 eject 18 yd pans in mostly hard clay.
Thanks in advance for any info or opinions.
Stick with the deere. The Cats are having trans problems around 4000hrs. WE are currently running deere and have owned the cats, lets just say cats are parked. Cost of ownership is much less expensive than the Cats also.
I know this thread is a little old but thought I'd share an opinion. We have always had deere & been very satisfied with them but we traded 2 9530s for 2 9510R & the 9530 would out pull these new ones by a long shot. The 9510R have excellent features & is an excellent machine but when it comes down to pure grunt power we miss the 9530s. They had a lot more low end torque. These new ones have a feature in the tranny that makes them kick into neutral to protect the turbo & let me tell ya I don't know how many times I've ate the steering wheel cuz of that. The 9530s would spin long before it would kill the motor but bit these. Like I sai they are an excellent tractor & I believe they will come out with a software update for them to give that low end torque. Either way tho I would choose a deere over a cat.
I've ran 9630's and all of them have that feature that kicks them into neutral if they drop down to a certain RPM. And all of the AG tractors pulling more then one pan have transmission problems eventually. The JD9630's pulling triple 2112's started having issues around 4k hrs. The MT865's pulling triple reynolds 18yd pans started having problems at 4k hrs. And the steiger 450's pulling triple reynolds 18yd pans started having problems at 2k hrs But this is just my experience with them, they all have there positives and negatives
This isn't quite true. There are lots of scraper tractors out running with high hours that haven't had any transmission issues. There is a local contractor near me with a pair of 9520s that are approaching 10K hours with no trans issues. This could have something to do with the fact that JD doesn't approve pulling triple 21s...only triple 18s.
They dont approve of it but they will stii do warranty work on them.
And axle bearing failure's. When I worked at the dealership we got countless tractor's with wheel bearing problem's, all right around the 4,500-5k hrs. mark. The company I work for now actually just had one go t/u, with 4,800 hrs. It's almost like a tractor is designed to farm, not try to move dirt lol.
Yeah, I've had an axle snap on a 9630 and the duals well off and rolled past me
I have run the dear and cats neither one are built to pull scrapers. I now have two bell tractors and the are by far better
The Mt865's would do circles around a Bell
With all due respect...lets look at the tail of the tape: 450hp vs 560-600hp 8 speeds vs 18 speeds Torque converter vs direct drive single tires vs duals or tracks No comparison. A tractor is designed to pull, a modified ADT isn't.
The cat will do better in sand in hard clay and rock you will tear the tracks off if you arent very careful.on the bell the torque converter locks up to direct drive in scraper mode and the diff lock locks all four wheels up instead of just two like on dear and other at tractors also fuel consumption is way less and as far as duals compared to singles I run the wide log stompers and you can run duals
Anything you put in rock it will tear tires or tracks up even the bell, actually a company in STL converted there john deeres over to metal tracks for when the dirt gets rocky. Your right the bell wont spin tires it just boggs down and stalls, i ran it didnt like it. All john deeres and quads have a differential lock that allows all 4 tires to spin, you thinking that they didnt makes me believe you have never ran one. Deere dif lock is right under the steering coulmn quads its on your right console, 2 switches, its kinda nice on the quad cause you can lock up one side or the other. Fuel consumption im not really sure, but im sure the Bell cannot burn that much less then the tractors. Have you ever ran the wide tires up against the duals??? We have ran the dual setup against the floater tires and the duals do better hands down on the 9630's the floater tires do just that, and you cant get any traction.
I've run lots of Deere tractors the diff lock on Deere does not lock up all four and there is not much difference between Deere or the bell when u are pulling off the draw bar but when the bell has a goose neck pan hooked on it will walk away from the Deere.
You mean like this? From the 9560R operator's manual both front and rear diff locks engage on the Deere
All 4 spin, the early models had problems with the rear right not engaging but was recalled and fixed. Worked with a bell that was pullin a Titan trailer and it did not pull away from the deere
Yup! Just like that, back hurts just a LiL lookin at pics of it
Have you ever run a Deere with the steal tracks? That titan scraper is way to big unless you are push loading it we are pulling a 26 yd goose neck pan and it seems to do fine don't get me wrong I do like the Deere tractor I grew up running them but they don't seem to last on the scrapers. That's why I have started using the bell tractor I've run them two years now so time will tell if they last.
Yes I was one of the first to try out those steel tracks Yea the Titan was a little to much for it, I would like to see a side by side comparison with the bell with equal size pans
I have never run the bell next to a Deere with the 26 yd pan but we did with two 18yd pans they will move about the same dirt in a day but the bell will use less fuel. How did those tracks work did you gain a lot?
Worked well when you got them into rocky conditions. They do cut the power way down since the tracks are so heavy, can only cut in gears 1-3 and after 14th gear it lugs the tractor pretty bad. But after 14th gets a LiL hard to stay in the seat
Is it something worth while or do the cost more then what there worth
I guess there worth it, outfit keeps buying them and putting tracks on them. Alot cheaper then trucks, and no cut tires.
Do you know what a set costs?
I have no idea but they can make them for just about anything
Who would I contact to check them out
your best bet is to call kolb grading 636-441-0200 and ask someone there about it
OK thanks I will give them a call.