Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Scraper advise

Excavator759 ยท 2012-11-13 15:31

I really know nothing about scrapers. I'm looking into the different kinds out there and need some advise on the limitations as far as ground conditions and terrain that I would be able to run them on. I would be using them on various well site locations in Eastern Ohio. for the past two years I have just been pushing the sites off with a bunch of dozers and I'm wondering if I could speed up production with these. I saw a few other contractors are using Cat 627's and a few with pull type, but I never really looked at the sites they were using them on. None of my salesman around here know much to help me out.

Replies15
  1. #1terexkerry2012-11-15 00:51

    scrapers try a older TEREX TS 14, Excavator759,just my 40 years worth,good luck,kerry

  2. #2Greg2012-11-15 15:33

    If it is a site with short haul distance a pull type behind a Cat will do you an excellent job.

  3. #3vapor3002012-11-15 22:13

    27 mite be to heavy, id get a quad 450 pulling 1 or 2 pans

  4. #4Showpony2012-11-16 01:03

    Id go with a 615 or 862 elevator if youre striping off sites, they load themselves and its easier to cut accurate grades with an elevator as youre not using all your rim pull to get the load to the top of the bowl. Put a good man on one of these machines and he can do the whole job alone, best bang for your buck, no diesel fest, just dirt movin.

  5. #5Kman90902012-11-16 21:44

    ES Wagner seems to do alot of work in Ohio with 627's so I'm assuming they do pretty good. If your salesman doesn't know enough go to a different one,

  6. #6johnhenryrolf2012-11-17 22:08

    I'm a BIG fan of scrapers...with the right operator, you can do just about anything with them (finish work included). The only thing is, it all depends on what you're going to do with it, they are wonderful for moving a mountain of dirt in a short amount of time; but not too efficient at moving small amounts of dirt, or in a relatively small space. Around here all of the oil field jobs that I can think of are done with either a dozer, or a trackhoe. Im curious to know exactly what you're planning to do?

  7. #7Panhandler Bob2012-11-20 09:31

    :my2cTerex 14's, E-Z on fuel, sure footed, light foot print,cheap to fix,transport good, Problem is findin good panmen (few and far between anymore) If you decide to try out a scraper and its a 14 do not go so old as to wind up with a 4 banger Detroit in the front, Radial tires a big plus. I'm in Mercer,Co. PA. You doin anything over here? Bob aka ZZ:drinkup

  8. #8wnydirtguy2012-11-21 20:30

    I would agree on the TS14. You can pick them up cheap and fix them cheap to. As mentioned above if you got a good pan guy you don't need a finish dozer to grade pads. we have a couple we put laser receivers on them and grade pads if they are big enough.

  9. #9Beachbum02862012-11-23 16:19

    Who are you building pads for? We use dozer as well but thats because the gas companies want us too. I always thought scrapers would work the best in the right conditions.

  10. #10Excavator7592012-11-26 14:55

    Thanks for all the help, I am really looking into these suggestions. we are building the sites for Chesapeake Energy. on average there is 5000-8000yds of topsoil, had as much as 15,000. the pad is a cut and fill balance with anywhere from 15,000 to 80,000yd cut and fill. the finished pad is usually 365x480. I'm trying to get the Cat dealer to demo a couple differnt set ups, as the Deere dealer knows nothing and cant even compete price wise on anything. Mr. BOB, I dont seem to get over that way much but you are not all that far away.

  11. #11wnydirtguy2012-11-26 19:43

    depending on the size of the dozer you already have you may want to look at a pull pan behind what you have. just an idea

  12. #12ShaneK2013-01-07 11:50

    There's NDK Scrapers, a company out of Ohio that deals scrapers, and I think can put on demos as well - he'd probably be able to assess your jobsite for a good scraper solution. Not sure if you've heard of 'em before. http://www.ndkscrapers.com/location.htm

  13. #13CDNWrenchhead2013-03-20 19:52

    we run three 621f's with a d8t ripper pushing and pull off 300+ loads a day. but as many people have made note of already you need good guys in the seat. operators can make or break you with scrapers. if your operator talent pool is shallow i recommend staying away from push/pull scrapers and stick to pushing with a dozer.

  14. #14terexkerry2013-03-21 03:30

    how did you get on excavator759,kerry

  15. #15oregon96pd2013-03-21 21:51

    We're building oilpads in North Dakota with 627's right now, they work good for it.