jd ct322 is having issues. Specifically my problem is that the machine is bogging down under load. Engine sounds great at any rpm, but when I start driving it or using hydraulics (especially at lower rpm) then it bogs down then increases rpm in a rhythmic pulsing pattern. I was thinking fuel… but replaced both fuel filters (water separator and in line), and checked for fuel tank vent (working)… hoses seem okay. I was going to check injector pump and injectors, but unfortunately this is all under Valve cover, and it’s a bit of a job to access. Then I was thinking that maybe this is hydraulic issue. Hydraulics seem strong… still lift machine off ground no problem… the bucked/boom drops quite quickly when valve is in neutral position. I’m pretty sure this is a problem internally within one of the lift cylinders… I will replace the seals within both cylinders… but it seems unlikely that this would cause machine to pulse/bog down. Error code f974
It will if the hydraulics are constantly activated.
I was wondering that… So figure out why bucket is dropping (either leak in valve bank or in cylinder, and see if that resolves problem
I’m thinking that I can lift up boom about half way, the block it, then pull hydraulic hose from cylinder and plug and cap both sides, then kick out block… and figure that this should tell me if it’s valve bank leaking or cylinder… If it drops with the cylinder plugged, then it’s leak in valve bank, and if it stays put, then this is leak in cylinder… does that make sense?
Welcome to HEF Dave ! Are the auxiliary hydraulics stuck on?
Definitely not… aux hydraulics work as they should, and the lock mechanism holds them in neutral position when they are not in use.
F974 - Alternator voltage out of range high. Have you checked the voltage at the battery when the engine is running? As far as the engine bogging, has the fuel pressure been checked?
Confused… I plugged the hydraulic hose going to the extension side of the cylinder. I capped the hose, and plugged the cylinder. Did this to both sides (both lift cylinders). Turned machine on, and pulled away my blocking which was holding bucket up. Bucket stays put. I figured from this test that my hydraulic problem is in cylinders and not in valve bank. I connected hoses again to hydraulic cylinder (no longer plugged), and pulled pins that hold the cylinder. I rested the cylinder on the tracks with hydraulics connected. I turned the machine on, and both cylinders slowly start to extend with the valve in neutral position. I’m confused about this because I figure that if the valve is in neutral position, then it won’t be feeding hydraulic oil to the cylinders. I pulled the linkage to the valve on valve bank to make double sure that it’s in neutral position, and tried again. Still the cylinder slowly extends. I pulled the hydraulic hose to the cylinder and turned machine on, and oil flowing very rapidly. Again very confused, because I assume that with valve bank in neutral position, that hydraulic is not pumping to the lift cylinders. Then out of curiosity I pulled line to the tilt cylinders, and turn machine on, and same thing… fluid comes gushing out of the hydro hose… Sooo I’m pretty much at a loss… are my lift cylinders needing a rebuild? Is my valve bank facked? Is this maybe a problem in the self leveling mechanism? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks mg2361
On my Cat backhoe attachment oil will flow out of the stabilizer ports on the valve at a high rate with the hoses disconnected but with hoses connected cylinders don't move. At least not when the cylinders are attached on the backhoe. I think it's just low pressure bypass oil. When everything is connected backhoe operates as it should.
One thing at a time. . . Start with the error code, move on to the bogging or pulsing issue. And finally address the drift down. A leaking cylinder or valve cannot cause engine issues.
Thanks Dave. This is reassuring. It made no sense to me, and was extra confusing that the tilt cylinder was doing it too… I’m still leaning towards cylinder being cause of hydraulic drift… was thinking to plumb one in at a time, and see if bucket drops with only the one connected… then try the other and see if there is any difference. Hopefully will pinpoint that it is cylinder causing problem and which one. As for engine problem… I was noticing yesterday that it’s not actually as I initially described. At high RPM, it doesn’t happen, or if it does, you can just barely notice it. At low rpm, it seems that the engine actually revs up to high rpm then falls back to low rather than bogging down… it doesn’t happen this about every second, and the rev up and back down only takes a quarter second or something… maybe this is governor problem?