Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD with rising oil level???

Speedpup ยท 2010-12-03 20:35

Checked my oil and the level looks high. 4 cylinder John Deere 428X??? I think from 1985 80 HP I think it is.. The injection pump was redone a year ago may be 150 hrs or less. Injectors could be bad I guess? What other things could make it rise? I will dump the oil soon and get it tested by Blackstone Labs. I don't think it is coolant as it is still black and not foamy or coffee / milky color like coolant. Best way to tell what is going bad is? Thanks for the tips. Lift pump is fairly new from the looks of it. Can't remember when it was done probably when I did the injection pump. I am the original owner of the machine. Machine has about 6800 hours on it in a Lull telehandler.

Replies16
  1. #1stock2010-12-03 20:49

    I has to be one of those three,usually the injector pump shaft seal or the lift pump diaphragm. That being said I did have a John deere do the same thing as yours and it was bad injectors.

  2. #2willie592010-12-03 21:28

    Yep, if it has a Stanadyne injection pump, could be one of the butterfly seals on the shaft has failed.

  3. #3Turbo218352010-12-04 09:15

    Dont worry about it. Get some gallon jugs and start selling oil to all your friends. You have just found a money maker, or is that taker?

  4. #4bobcatmechanic2010-12-04 11:13

    are you getting any water in there if you from the cooling system

  5. #5bobcatmechanic2010-12-04 11:15

    you could also do an oil sample and find out exactly what you have all the countys 6.4 power strokes were 14 % fuel in the oil

  6. #6Hardline2010-12-04 13:48

    If it were an injector I would think you would get excessive smoke either while it is running or at startup. You could take the lift pump out of the equasion by removing the lines to it and running the machine temporarily on a electric lift pump. And bobcatmecanic 14% is too high in the 6.4 IMO. They need to shorten the change intervals if all other aspects are inline and no other problems. They should not be allowed to go more than1qt or so overfull. JJ

  7. #7Willis Bushogin2010-12-04 18:40

    oil level I wonder if the oil level issue started when you had the injection pump rebuilt and you really just started noticing it? I Just had a Cummins engine do the same thing and it was the front seal in the PT Cummins injection pump. They had to take it apart twice, before they got it right, now Im using a little oil, instead of watching it get over full. I just felt of the oil and it wasnt sticky at all, so I changed the oil and kwwp an eye on it and it started a little sticky, to non sticky, thats when it went in the shop Good Luck

  8. #8Speedpup2010-12-04 20:20

    no water or milky oil.

  9. #9Speedpup2010-12-04 20:26

    Could be the pump. I need to see how many hours since the pump. I'll pull some oil and have it tested on Tuesday. I'll change the oil on Tuesday also. I have a 6.0 Ford diesel in an Excursion 2004. From testing oil I found out I need to dump the oil every 5,000 due to fuel in the oil. At 7500 they said the 15/40 was now 10/30 due to fuel. Mean while the Dodge diesel 5.9 2001 is going 12,000 between changes with no fuel in the oil and it shows very little wear even at 140,000. Thanks guys keep you posted.

  10. #10Kgmz2010-12-04 23:00

    We had this problem with the 4276D engine in our 490D. And without that special tool it is darn near impossible to get that shaft in without rolling or messing up those seals.

  11. #11Speedpup2010-12-05 14:20

    I have the tool it was 20 bucks and works great. I didn't have it for this machine so unfortunately I may have mess up the seal. PITA to pull the pump again. Ones I did years ago I had no tool either but usually got them in fairly easy. Last one I did I gave up and went back to the guy and ask if I could borrow the tool. He gave it to me. Wonder why they don't say here is the tool for 20 bucks if you don't have one? After spending 1200 or what ever it was 20 is nothing to save the cursing. How do you check the injectors?

  12. #12stock2010-12-05 14:35

    If the tip goes faulty or if the injector springs go weak; the injector spits the diesel out on to the walls of the cylinder, as if it was starting (excess diesel at lower pressure) and down to the oil pan.A smaller per cent-age of the diesel is atomised and burns without generating copious amounts of smoke.

  13. #13Randy882010-12-05 14:46

    Pull them and put them on a test bench and see what they are doing as far as pattern and what pressure they open at, I think those are the throw away injectors, but don't quote me on that. If its an injector you should see or hear a miss or puffs of smoke or something.

  14. #14Iron@Dirt2010-12-05 18:56

    You can loosen bolts on primer pump and leave overnight to see for a leak, you probably could do the same with the injection pump, pull it back just far enough to leave a gap with every thing hooked up. If your injectors are leaking that bad you could have a hole down the side of the piston soon, saw one lately. Customer never heard a miss.

  15. #15Speedpup2010-12-06 10:03

    thanks I'll give it a try ASAP may be next week. I need a few more hours use before pulling from job site.

  16. #16Iron@Dirt2010-12-06 20:32

    Check out possible hydraulic oil in engine.