Hi, I've put in about 25 hours since purchasing this JD and for most use, in close areas, I have no issue going into FWD and REV. On Friday and yesterday I've been moving crushed rock to another area of my property (about 1/4 mile drive) and the issue will appear. Normally I'm in 1st gear and 4x4 as I'm in the mountains with no flat land. Today, I moved one load of crushed rock and on the way it popped out of gear on the roadway in 3rd. I'll stop and wait. I'll put her in neutral, the shift into fwd and rev. After a brief period the tranny re-engages. I unloaded and spread the rock up/down a steep drive (up/down with no issue in fwd/rev). On the return drive down the hill in 4th, I stopped, shifting in to 2nd had to wait 30 or so seconds before the tranny engaged. Any advice on what may be causing this issue would be greatly appreciated.
In searching the parts manual there is a power shift clutch system. I'm wondering if this is the system I should consider as the primary issue?
Does the parking brake come on when this happens? Is the gear shifter itself still in 3rd when this happens? Check transmission fluid level. I would suggest staying out of 3rd and 4th hauling heavy loads of crushed rock in hilly terrain. I suspect that is hard on the shuttle/shift transmission.
JL, thank you. Tanny fluid is OK, no break/stop lights coming on or engaging (this was occurring when I bought the 310 but the tranny fluid was low by 1 gal). I usually run in 3rd on the flat then into 2nd on the low grade hill then into 1st up the steep drive. After dumping load, spreading rock, (in&out of fwd&rev) then heading down in 4th with no load also creates the issue. I'll do a test later today and will crawl around in 1st to see if there is any difference. I plan to buy the service manual this week so I can better assess and learn these systems.
Does anyone know how the clutch system works on the 310SE or similar models? I started up the engine this morning and after warmup could not get the clutch to engage, then it would, then it would disengage. After a few minutes I finally was able to move the JD a short distance then the clutch disengaged again. This is both in 1st and 2nd gear. Sometimes I press the clutch release button on the shifter and hear the clutch re-engage. As I'm waiting on the service manual set to arrive it seems to me this is an electro-mechanical issue or hydraulic pressure or a combination if there is a pressure switch. Since I do not have the service manual it's a guess. Appreciate any suggestions.
Syncro Shuttle transmission I'm guessing you have. The transmission charge pump makes about 230 PSI hydraulic pressure for your transmission. This is system pressure and is used to control the parking brake, F-N-R, Locking Dif., transmission lubrication, clutch pack engagement, etc. The fact that your parking brake isn't coming on when you have no travel makes me think you have good system pressure. I would suggest replacing the filter and transmission fluid if you haven't done that.
JL, thank you for the overview. I'm waiting for the transmission filter to arrive and will change out the fluid and filter as recommended. I'll provide an update once this is done.
Hi did you check both clutch disconect harness or switchs at the bottom of the shifter and or the loader lever ?
X6, I believe this is a hydraulic pressure issue but will check the harness and connections. Today I ran the 310SE after checking the Tranny Fluid level. I tighten down the dip stick cap as much as I could and no issue with the shifting. Filter arrived today so this will be replaced tomorrow. Service manual also arrived so now I can start studying the systems. Thanks,
+1 on clutch disconnect switch and harness.if wiring harness is good check for faulty switch
Howey75, I've run the machine two days now with no issues going in and out of gear after checking and seating the dip-stick. I'm wondering if I was not seating the dip-stick to lock it down as hard as I was doing. If so was this causing some pressure drop. What I cannot find in my service manual are the hydraulic system lines for the tranny showing the dip stick in the system. I would assume it would be on the low pressure or no pressure side along with the tranny filter. Thanks,
Hey if it works that’s great but there should be little if any case pressure in trans case as it should be vented anyway.the dipstick is only to check level of oil reserve in the trans so yes little or no pressure.so I have doubts about that being the sole cause of your problem
Thanks. I concur. Something is amiss but given the observations I doubt it's the FNR switch or I'd be having issues again the past two days. I did check and clean the tran vent a few weeks back, next is the tranny filter and as JL Sargent recommended I should drain and replace the fluid as well.
Sounds good.The switches x6 and I were speaking of are the clutch disconnect switches on the gear shift and/or loader control lever.i forget if they are normally closed or open but a fault in this curcuit or a bad switch can cause your problem I think?
OK, I have been going through the service manual to understand both the electrical and hydraulic system. It's a lot of info to digest as this is all new for me. What is great having the manuals are the system checks too....I'll be using the 310SE later today on a small project and tomorrow will change out the filter and fluid.