Any idea what's up with the hydraulic oil on this JD310SG? After running it for a month it works fine, and the level seemed about right in the sight glass when I got it....maybe a little high but not much. But it seems to be creeping up. Tonight I checked a couple hours after shutting it off and still can't see any air space above the oil in the sight glass. Guess I'll let it cool off overnight - although it doesn't seem to run hot. Anyone have any info? Other than that it seems to run fine. Cabs a little noisy in road gear, but no real complaints. rScotty
Not really any way for a G series to transfer oil from anywhere since the pump is driven from the top of the transmission. The level will change a little when hot. Are you always checking it parked on level ground with the hoe and loader in the same position?
The ground isn't perfectly level - but not bad. If anything it's down a bit in the rear; the hoe and loader are in the same normal position like it shows in the manual. Checked it this morning after cooling all night....no difference. Also checked the engine and transmission oil and coolant expecting to find one of them low - but all are at the proper marks. So I got a suction gun and took out a gallon and a half of hydraulic fluid. That brought the hydraulic oil level down to halfway between the cold marks on the sight glass. I'm open to any ideas. rScotty
What did you find on this? I know you said you checked the transmission, was the transmission warm/hot when you checked it?
Well, I wanted to give it a few weeks to make sure of what I was seeing....then got busy and forgot to report back. Sorry about that. My bad. Apparently it is OK. Fluid has been staying level between the marks for the last month and a half - ever since I removed that gallon and a half of transmission fluid. It sure had me worried at the start. Thinking back a month, I first noticed the hydraulic level being over high about a week after it got new back tires, and I've heard that the service truck guy who comes out and mounts the new tires always checks the fluids and adds some if needed. I wasn't there at the time the tire guy was doing his thing so if he did it I missed it. Anyway, what he does is basically a good thing and I'm not wanting to discourage him. My guess is that he simply over-filled it and that's how the extra fluid got there. It's working good now; staying where it should between the marks on that visible gauge on the right side of the hood. Thanks for reminding me to update this. I've been doing some other basic maintenance and learned a few things. Probably ought to start another thread on that. rScotty