I had read up on doing this what has been posted on this site. I looks like it really isn't a hard job. Are there any tricks I should know about? I do have a shop manual and will read up on it a bit more. The hoe control valves are now leaking real bad. Also the boom is drifting down real bad now. I been working the hell out of this hoe digging up big trees, but it's at the point now that I have to repair it. I do plan on repacking it on the hoe. I will just remove all the sheet metal to get at them. Now for the seals and orings. How many will I need? I have the 580C with extendahoe. Also, I have to do the front bucket control valves. They are leaking a little to. Guess I should do them the same time. Are they the same seals/orings? Anybody know the parts numbers off hand for the seals/orings?
Not a case guy and I have not yet had to do it myself. As you say, don't see the reseal being hard. When you do it wouldn't mind seeing some pics here.
Will do. I will have to put it off a few days due to pulling a muscle in my lower back.
Good Morning, we did a reseal on our 58C couple years back (oil leaking around the spools), we pulled the valve body out and did it on the bench, just a lot of hoses to remove but straight forward. after cleaning up the valve body exterior remove one spool at a time replace wiper and o-ring and put back in its respectable place, don't pull them all out at once the need to go back where they came from, probably take about a day to do. have a good one, DW
I still haven't had a chance to do the rebuild. My plan of attack is to do it in place if I can. I have no way of removing the complete block by myself. I will be ordering parts tomorrow.
Be sure to block the backhoe assembly securely. It would be best to extend it and lay down flat. Also lay the stabilizers down or chain them up or you will be getting a bath of oil.
Thanks, I saw that. You wouldn't know the parts numbers for the orings and wipers by chance and how many I will need?
I would go to a Case dealer and have them find the part numbers. The O rings you need should come from a Case dealer because i think they have special profile. That control valve reseal job is not one you want to redo because the O rings and seals were the wrong ones. The 580's may have used four or five different control valves through the production years. So be sure to find the serial number of your machine. It will be needed to determine which backhoe you have.
I have a 35 hoe and it is a 1979 extended hoe. I will get on the phone and call Case to see what is what. Thanks. I do have a parts manual and service manual and will look at them when it starts raining today.
Been some time, but today I had a chance to pull the hoe controls. What a job due to oil everywhere. After cleaning up the control valve block, I started pulling things. I see that the valves has a wiper seal and two orings. I started pulling the relief valves just to see, but I need to make a tool to finish this. Where is that "white" seal at? Looking at the parts page, all I see are orings and calling for 8 per stage. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Thanks.
OK people in the know. This is my parts ordering list. #14/ G 3366 need 2 per stage #31/ G 100959 2 per stage #4/ A 273654 2 per stage #5/ A 32309 1 per stage Outlet section #20/ A 35104 only 1 oring Stabilizer control #4/ D 56443 need 4 Now, I'm I over looking anything as far as orings/seals? I would like to get these parts order today. I am not going to mess with the relief valves. At this point, I feel they are still set, but I could always pull them once I get the control valves back on. Another thing. I'm not going to separate the Valve bodies. I had power washed them and now I plan to stick the complete valve bank in a 5 gallon bucket full of diesel for a couple days to soak. Then clean it up and blow out all ports. There really wasn't much dirt on the inside or on the enter parts. So, for those that are in the know, is my plan of attack ok? This is the first time for me doing this and any info would help. Thanks.
come to my house we will have a rebuilding party.. mine too probably.
Case changed some of the numbers. I will not get the parts in till next week. #14 is the only one that they have to order. Costing $4.20 apiece. Part number is the same, but my post above has it wrong. Part # G 33686, 10 are needed #4 new number is 86977728 cost .67 each, 10 needed #5 " " 65457C1 , 1 needed Stabilizer control, part #4 new number is 9706714, cost $1.73 each 4 are needed Now this is for a extendahoe. I did get the control blocks clean and every thing else. It really wasn't to bad. Guess all the oil that was leaking washed the dirt off. Inside didn't have any gunk and no real bad wear that I could see for the age of the hoe.
I just did a pirogue building party at my house. LOL We had built 9 of them at the same time over two days.
Got the control bank rebuilt, but now more rain. I'm hoping to get it installed later today or Thursday. Really wasn't that hard. Just heavy. I hoping to get a jen pole for my tractor to install everything one piece. Just waiting on the rain to stop to check on that. On a side note. I have used kerosene to soak everything and clean it. Did a great job After that, I blew everything off and then applied clean hydraulic oil to all inter surfaces.
Had a small set back. When I had the control bank sitting on a table, some how, it fell to the ground. One of the ports where the hose connects got damaged. Had to pull that off and brought it to a shop to cut the angle back to 37 drg. It was leaking and not sealing. That port was the one with the defuser in it. Other then that, no other leaks and everything worked like new.
Got it done and now she has 10x more digging power. But I started having problems with the boom dropping. I might have put the wrong orings in the power dump valve. When I first started working it, I had just a little drift with the boom dropping. After digging a few trees, it got to the point the boom wouldn't stay up.
Fishfighter, thanks for posting all thats been going on w/ your machine. Sorry I cant help w/ this. Ill be going through mine before long and am learning alot from reading about other's problems. Good luck!
Hey, first thing that comes to mind is boom cylinders leaking thru the piston seals , next thing would be the load check valves in the valve bank, or maybe a cracked boom valve section, had one crack on ours once, it would do all kinds of crazy things, what seals did you replace on the valve bank when you resealed it? DW
Did all the orings in the valve bank but none of the relief valves. Got the right oring for the power relief valve and installed it. Everything worked good for about an hour, then the boom started leaking down somewhat. I did rebuilt one of the boom cylinders due to the wiper seal was leaking. Guess I need to do the other. I will order the kit tomorrow. Over all, everything has a lot more power. I need to replace all pins now. The hoe over all is shaking as bad as a baby rattler. LOL Oh, getting the new oring in was a big pain in the backside. ointhead
Glad you got it all together, sure would have been nice to see some pics. Oh well maybe next time
Agreed! I think I need to do this on my 580b.
Kind of hard to take pictures when you are covered in grease and oil. Rebuilding the control bank is really not hard at all as long as you don't mess with the relief valves settings. I also didn't break apart the complete control block. I did pull everything off it though and soaked/ cleaned everything. As I pulled everything, I had put each section in ziplock bags and number them. Also marked each part with a marker, top and bottom relief valves from were they came from. One thing I didn't do was mark the hoses from the hoe. After the fact, I should of. LOL Also, making the special tool took a little time. It calls for a 3/8" bolt, 3" long to make it. Hine sight, I would of made it out of a 5"-6" long bolt. Another thing I did was extend the hoe all the way out and shifted it all the way to the right before removing the hoses. That made it easy to get to the control block. Do have some blocks of wood to block the control value. 8" long 2x4's and a couple pieces of plywood. That sits on top of the swing cylinders to support the control block as you unbolt it. The control block as one piece weights 100 lbs. With the extra section for the extendahoe, add another 15-20lbs. Do remove the seat, but make sure you don't unbolt the two bolts that hold the base plate/ spring together.
Curious - where were you able to dig up the part numbers for these seals and o-rings? I have a 580b rather than a C and I need to look them up but I can't find the backhoe controls in the CaseCE or Coleman Equip parts lookups. I would rather call the dealer with part numbers in hand, based on previous experiences calling them.
Yes, I was able to get the part numbers off Case's web site. It is a pain in the backside bc you have to jump to each break down. Have pen and paper to write all your numbers down and how many for each. Oh, I did have a boom cylinder that was bad all together. It had a bad ding on the bottom side I didn't see that the tube was bent in that damaged the gland seal. Had to buy a new one that was rebuilt. $632 local.
You're right. In the partstore.casece.com I had to browse by Model_Light Equipment_Load Backhoes_ then I had to choose ATTACHMENTS. There was also a separate group of backhoes under "backhoes" series, but mine showed up under the "attachments" series. Maybe this will help someone find it down the road.