Replaced the starter and battery on my 1976 John Deer 410D figuring that would solve the the starting issue I was having. Initial problem was dead battery and broken push start. I had the battery jumped to my pickup and attempted to start with push switch removed going wire to wire. Initially I was getting weak cranking, not enough to start engine. The problem evolved into red power light going off whenever start switch was engaged, with no starter engagement. So, instead of doing a legit troubleshoot I through parts at it by buying a new starter and battery. Now I am getting 12.5v at ignition switch, 12.5v on line side of push start but, when I pass power through the switch I get an audible click (sounds like from fuel solenoid) and no starter engagement (red power light stays on). Nor does it turnover when I jump out the starter with a screwdriver. Any ideas on where to take this troubleshoot would be much appreciated.
You need to do load testing to your Positive cable, Negative cable, Frame ground, Key switch Battery Terminal, Keyswitch Crank Terminal, Key switch Accessory terminal, And Starter "S" Terminal. Almost guaranteed your problem is in one of these tests or if you have a neutral safety system in it somewhere. If you post your serial number, maybe we can see a schematic and explain the necessary test to find the problem. You have to flow current through a cable or switch to find out if it is okay or not. Static power means nothing when the load hits. You will need 2 people to do the tests, and a decent multimeter. Can explain if you need instructions. Simon C
Yes, some further instruction on how to load test would be helpful. I do have a good multimeter. My goal is to just get her running so she can be loaded onto a trailer. Its being sold for parts. Wouldnt jumping out the starter as long as main ground is good and battery voltage at at starter is good make her at least crank ? Thank you, your insight is much appreciated.
I will send you some tests later today, unless someone else answers first. Just tied up for a little. Simon C
Sounds good. Kind of baffled as to why the starter wont at least crank when jumped. Battery is new, starter is new, and I have good connections battery to starter, starter to frame, battery to frame.
Did you check that the engine is not locked up?
Was thinking the exact same thing. Not sure if that unit has glow plugs or not. If it does have, the top of the piston can be vacuumed with 1/8 inch air brake line to check for liquid on top. Maybe the crank can be turned by hand or with a flywheel turning tool. Not there, so can only imagine in my mind. Simon C
Was going to ask if you bench teasted the starter before installing, does the solenoid on the starter go clunk with your hand on it when you attempted to jump the Solenoid Big post to the Start terminal. Simon C
Your reading my mind Simon. NO, kicking myself. Solenoid engages when jumped but sure doesnt sound to me like the starter does when jumped. Im gonna pull it do the bench test. Maybe bad out the box. Lessoned learned on that one.
410D????? My 410 was 1974. My 410C was 1990.
Are you saying the Solenoid on the Starter is engaging (Clunk with you hand on it) or a separate solenoid is clunking. I think you are talking about the one on the starter. When I install after a bench test i always rotate the starter a hair away from the flywheel to make sure there is room for the teeth to go in. Have been caught with it myself a long time ago, never again. Also it can prevent the gear from staying stuck in the flywheel gear when it starts. Just something I do. Simon C
Yes sir she a D
When I engage the push start I get a click from the Fuel solenoid I believe and nothin else, def not starting solenoid. When I jump out starting solenoid by hand it engages but, starter does not. When I jump out starting motor directly starter does not engage, no click, hum, nothing.
Your 410 from the '70's is what is referred to as a 'straight 410'. The "D" on the plate apparently signifies the town where it was built (?). The 410 series "D" ( 410D) was built from '91 -97. At some point after your model ( straight 410) they started with the 'series' and followed the alphabet.... 410A and 410B's were a lot like your 410.... from "C" on they went through big changes. At least that's what I have been able to decipher.... Good luck with your issue.....
Think there is something wrong with your starter. Bench test it and if it does not go it is defective. I have had to change a couple in my life that were no good from the get go. Keep us posted. Simon C
Thanks Simon. Once I get off and tested ill post the results.
Did Nige say it had to come out also, Maybe I didnt read it all. Simon C
Oops that message was for a different post. Simon C
Could you show a photo of the machine 410 could be several distinctly different models. I may have manuals covering 410 & 410C. You might as well ask a question about a Ford.
It is a straight 410.
Hey folks. I got my parts manual today for my 410 D today. I need a wiring diagram that show wire colors. I cant find a service manual for my 1980 model. At least I was told it is a 1980. Thanks for your help
You can get a service manual here. Check your messages.
I don't believe a 410D was made in 1980.
Yeah, I believe you are correct. At least 1991. My serial number doesn't match the book. So I'm worried about buying parts. Thanks
What’s your full serial # ?
410 D 24240T
410 straight , parts catalog is # PC1227 .