Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1983 Case 580SE Right Stabilizer Raises VERY Slowly

digger e ยท 2025-02-22 18:06

Hi all, Looking to repair the right stabilizer on my Case 1983 580SE. The stabilizer goes down no problem, and has plenty of power to lift the machine. Raising the stabilizer however requires holding another lever (I usually pull dipper lever back a bit) then raising the right stabilizer does work, but it raises very slow. I did adjust the stabilizer linkage to push down as far as possible, this didn't make any difference. Fixed a few other things on this machine since purchasing it a couple months ago, this is the first hydraulic repair I'm getting into. Could bad seals show this kind of behavior? Or does this sound like a valve issue? I don't see any fluid leaking from the cylinder, and I topped off the fluid level as well. Left stabilizer has no issues at all. Thanks!

Replies4
  1. #1HarleyHappy2025-02-23 08:47

    Does it seem to struggle lifting, when using the other function? Wondering if there is a dent in the barrel or the rod is bent. How is the bushings and pins? Possibly binding on a pin or bushing? Maybe try adjusting the linkage the other way?

  2. #2digger e2025-02-23 08:56

    Hi Harley, yes, it struggles lifting when using the other function. It seems like the more I pull on the other function, the faster it will raise, but I just pull it a bit to not stress the dipper function too much, since it's already retracted all the way. It takes some time but does go up all the way. It lowers very smoothly, and with plenty of power, I dont see any issue there. I'll take a look at the linkages to see if it's not pressing enough, however I did pull the lever off and pressed the linkage down manually down and didn't see a difference

  3. #3NH575E2025-02-23 09:11

    My left stabilizer started operating slow once. I had rebuilt it not long before so I assumed I did something wrong and repacked it again. Didn't fix it. My machine has check valve blocks inline that I assume are supposed to prevent them from falling. I pulled that off and found a little piece floating in one of the fittings. Not knowing any better I put it back like I found it and it still operated slow. I found some NOS lock valves on eBay so I replaced both. Neither had that little piece but the cylinder operated at normal speed afterwards. BUT my left stabilizer now leaks down and has to be chained up when I park it. I haven't looked into it any further but I assume that little piece came out of the operator valve and lodged in the line. I keep thinking one day I will retrieve that piece from the old valve and try to figure where it came from. If I remember right it was threaded like a tire valve core.

  4. #4HarleyHappy2025-02-23 19:29

    After I rebuilt my stabilizers, the left one starting drifting down, I attributed that to the junk that was in the rod bearing sleeve keeping it up. It took about 100 hours but it has finally decided to work well again.