I have an older jd450 that was overheating and blowing coolant out the overflow at top of the radiator. I took thermostat out to see if that was the problem. It's not. I pulled the radiator out and it was in bad condition, so I had a new core put in. I replaced radiator added coolant and it is doing same thing. Any ideas of what to do next? Thanks
What you should have done first is a pressure test and a bore scope down the cylinders to see if it is leaking around the head or the liner
If it was leaking around the head or liners wouldn't I have coolant in my oil and oil in my coolant? Oil is clean and so is coolant.
Yes or No. But it sounds like the cylinder pressure is leaking into the cooling system.
Head gasket can blow toward a coolant passage or head can crack in combustion chamber and you won't get any oil in your water or vice versa, or very little anyway. Definitely sounds like you've got combustion gases getting into your cooling system.
Sounds like a head gasket to me. First thing I would do is look into radiator with the cap off and engine running. If you are getting air bubbles that means coming into the water jacket from the cylinder when the piston goes up on compression stroke. Check cooling system pressure and go from there. Just because you are leaking into water jacket from cylinder does not mean that you will get coolant in the oil.
Hi, One time i was a thermostat put in upside down, that caused a problem sorta like what your talking about. sam.