Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT 939 C engine problem

mklepper ยท 2013-02-16 19:29

My 939 C has 2700 hr just replaced fuel filter and have found an oil leak L side behind injector apparatus will dig into that and hope for an easy gasket fix. Problem at hand is when working the motor will drop RPMs and lose power this lasts 10- 20 sec and resolves on its own. It will outright die intermittently and I presume this is low oil sensor. filling up brings it back to life. thoughts on oil leak approach ( I can't even visualize exactly where oil coming from even with flexible scope) and the potential causes for transient power loss thanks MK

Replies2
  1. #1caterpillarmech2013-02-16 19:34

    Pull the 7/8" banjo bolt on the bottom of the fuel pump. It has a screen in it. This one will starve the engine for a few seconds at a time. I would make sure your fuel bowl and lines are clean in the back near the battery.

  2. #2mklepper2013-03-15 10:54

    air leaking into fuel line! I was trying to clear all lines and connections and noticed while motor running bubbles coning up into the fuel water separator. The valve at the base had a failing O ring 5 cent o ring and it purrs like a kitten. That is the reason we get greasy and accept so much mechanical frustration. the joy of a problem found and solved! Now if I can just track down that electrical glitch MK