Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD500 backhoe electrical issue I think

304thomas55 ยท 2014-06-24 20:29

Was using my JD500 this morning to dig some dirt and all of sudden engine (diesel) shuts off and acts like there isn't a electrical connection to starter switch. Didn't have my volt/ohm meter to check anything . So I'm going through the JD repair manual don't see anything that jumps out at me as to what to check. Did turn lights on and they lite up. It acts as though no power to run side of switch. The only way the engine would've shutoff is power loss to fuel shutoff valve on top of injector pump. I hoping one of you all have an idea where to look. The idiot light on dash doesn't light when key is turned to On .

Replies4
  1. #1JDfan500C2014-06-26 13:01

    I'd check if your getting power to the starter and make sure connections didn't come loose. If that all checks out check the fuel filter and make sure the fuel pump is working and so on.

  2. #2304thomas552014-06-26 21:40

    Well, I found a 30 amp fuse blown......now to find out why !! No loose connections, going to check safety switch tomorrow. It has to be something only involved with run circuit .

  3. #3304thomas552014-06-28 21:26

    Does anyone know if the solenoid fuel shutoff can be made a cable pull to shutoff..... the way it should've been made !!

  4. #4304thomas552014-07-02 08:35

    Well fellow forum users....An update on the JD500 hoe. Found out the whole electrical issues I was experiencing was the fuel shutoff solenoid grounded. I have looked to find one but nothing as of yet found. I believe I can make this into a manual shutoff. Stroke appears to be 1/4 inch or less. I believe a small amount machining work, o- ring or backseat on plunger...I will figure it out !