Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 310SE – Sticky controls

enginerd ยท 2014-06-24 14:50

The control levers on my outriggers stick sometimes. It's not the end of the world, but usually when I let go after raising them, the sticks don't return to center on their own, and I have to bump 'em to get them to release from the 'up' position. Any ideas what would cause this (linkage issue? hydraulic issue? something else?), and is it something that should be addressed now, or can it wait until after the summer projects are done? (Is continuing to use it like this going to hurt anything?) None of the other sticks have this issue...

Replies11
  1. #1Deeretracks2014-06-25 00:53

    While the outrigger is moving up and the lever is stuck turn the key off. The lever will most likely pop back to neutral. If it does, there is probably a crack inside the outrigger valve (very common).

  2. #2cutting edge2014-06-25 08:48

    ....or the linkage is dirty/rusty/gummed up...because they never get serviced until they dont work.

  3. #3enginerd2014-06-25 11:38

    That gives me a couple of things to check... thanks, guys.

  4. #4lantraxco2014-06-25 14:48

    May just be a pressure spike from the cyllinders hitting the stops with the valve shifted, binding the spools? Try feathering the valves and easing the outriggers to the end of their strokes, see if that doesn't solve the issue.

  5. #5Deeretracks2014-06-26 01:04

    The linkage is so simple on those you very rarely see binding issues. I used to change 5 or 6 stabilizer valves a year in the E models for that very symptom. Deere had a service letter on it back in the day and redesigned the valve. If I remember right there was a "fix as fail" warranty campaign on them as well.

  6. #6enginerd2014-06-26 01:33

    So, Deertracks... what happens when the valve fails? And, do you think I can wait 'till fall to address it, or would you recommend I pull it off line now? I can live with it if it's just going to be an annoyance...

  7. #7Deeretracks2014-06-27 00:49

    I've never seen one completely fail (not saying it can't). I would look for a good used valve, preferably the newer part number. I'd hate to have it fail and create a bad situation.

  8. #8enginerd2014-06-27 12:59

    Thanks, DT. I'll keep my eye out for a replacement valve. Thanks for the advice.

  9. #9Killbox Alpha2014-07-05 21:23

    Enginerd- The stabilzer valve is a known thing to stick over time. Sometime back about mid serial number range Deere changed vendors to fix this problem. We found 100hr machines and 3000hrs machines with sticky valves. No rhymn or reason why, but we also saw alot of thermal relief valves in the stabilzer valve go bad. If your stabilzers leak down and the rods are not scared up and the packings not leaking, this will most likely be the problem.

  10. #10enginerd2014-07-12 22:19

    Thanks for the input, Killbox. My stabilizers don't leak down, though. So, not the thermal relief valve?

  11. #11Killbox Alpha2014-07-12 22:24

    No, not the thermal relief. I'd say time and wear is the culprit.