Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD650G Questions

Tnvolnfl ยท 2008-10-31 23:08

Newby here looking to purchase a JD 650G LGP for cleaning up a 98 acre parcel that has been clear cut. Unfortunately, i don't know much about dozers ecept what little I have learned researching the net. Found several in the $30,000 to $40,000 + range. Any suggestions as what to look for or stay away from, Etc.? Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1bordercollie2008-11-04 20:17

    check the undercarriage components, look for leaking hydraulic cylinders, take some wrenches with you and take off the engine side panels, check the engine for any external leaks, check the oil level and air filters. Pedal steer or lever steer? check out the steering operations in fwd and reverse. direct drive or torque converter? if direct drive should stall the engine while in gear with foot on the brakes. torque converter machines ,you should hear a drop in engine rpms. Look at the blade control lever and linkage for looseness and any leaks

  2. #2Tnvolnfl2008-11-06 19:55

    Thanks for the info. Is there a big difference in the G model and the H model??

  3. #3bordercollie2008-11-06 21:49

    H models are hydrostatic drive, no clutch packs or individual gear ranges. The machines still have what they call seperate speeds, but it has to do with trans pump and travel motor flow and displacement. the operator will get a "shift" feel with a hydrostatic dozer just as with a conventional machine, but there is no individual clutch pack being engaged or released. Operator platform and layout atre different as well. Can't recall if the blade control is pilot oil operated or not on a "H" series.

  4. #4Tnvolnfl2008-11-07 08:51

    So would you have a preference between the two. Is there any difference in dependability or cost of repair?

  5. #5Tnvolnfl2008-11-07 09:07

    I just saw the private message and replied to you there. I'm still learning how to navigate thru this forum. Thanks, E

  6. #6CascadeScaper2008-11-09 22:48

    I've run both H and G's, to each his own. I like the H's, but I can run the G's just fine. I like the H's better for operator comfort, the hystat is nice for finish grading around buildings and working around hubs and such. The blade control is much smoother on the H's as well, which is almost expected being a newer series.

  7. #7Deereman2008-11-13 17:44

    Both of these machines are very dependable machines. To me the g is stronger and just love to run. I do like the quickness of the h/j's and the cab machines over the g's.Both r some of the easiest to work on. Main thing on the g's is to check the steering clutches.