Last Spring I had the pleasure of running a Demo JD672GP. I ran it for about 30 hours doing gravel road maintenance. I took lots of pictures and will try to most several, along with my personal opinions as always. I should start with some clarity about the G model versus GP model. G model is standard lever rack design and steering wheel. GP model gets you arm rest controls plus a variety of electronic gadgetry for those that need/use that equipment. It also has a blade leveling ability which when set to a selected grade level allows you to maintain that grade with the operation of the right blade lift controller only. The left side automatically adjusts to maintain the preselected grade. Might be very useful in the construction world but was of no value to me. Don't quote me but I believe the salesman said it's a $17K option for the basic package. There is a lot of difference in the design of the front main frame. Deere followed Cat's lead and raised the main beam to a more horizontal design. That change had the same effect as it had on the Cat M models. It killed forward visibility. Deere gained no blade movement or lift height with this design change, not sure about Cat. In the D model you can see the ground 22 feet ahead of the machine. In the G model this distance stretches to 48 feet. That's a huge deal to me.
The cab design is the same with both models. A change was made in the forward display and some minor changes made in the right side console. Otherwise cab dimensions are the same. The outside mirror design changed with the G model being narrow and tall where the D is more square. I didn't like the G mirrors nearly as well, gave me little horizontal vision and I had to lean forward or back to see left or right in the mirror. Small annoyance. I hear a lot about the cab being quieter but I didn't get that feeling. The engine noise is less with the G model but that's attributed to added insulation around the engine and a different engine design. No insulation was added to the cab.
The biggest improvement with the G design is serviceability. Easier access to engine compartment with bigger doors. Radiators all swing open for easy cleaning on the G. Converted to an electronic programmable reversible fan. Located all filters in easy access areas. Fuel fill on the G is at left rear corner ground level with the tank located under the radiators and protected by skid plates. The D has fuel fill on top of engine compartment with tank mounted high between engine and radiator. Lot's of improvement in this area.
The main frame design change doesn't appear to have gained anything. The blades have similar lift heights. The table doesn't move any further in any direction. The blade seems to be similarly located under the machine with no difference in visibility of the blade or balance. The lift cylinders stand at a different angle but I noticed no effect on blade control.
The G model uses a different system on the blade slide. JD says it's improved with easier adjustment and longer bushing life. It might be easier to make minor adjustments but doesn't appear to be any more durable. JD has suffered in this area for a long time. They wear out the slide bushings quickly. JD offers an extended use version that's supposed to last longer but that hasn't proved itself to me. This is a weakness that they haven't fixed.
As for the GP controls. The first day in the machine I would sometimes get confused and have to use the steering wheel to correct a situation. I also used the steering wheel turning around. The first couple hours I was using the steering wheel every few minutes. After 6-8 hours I could make a long run without touching the wheel. I never had problems driving down the highway with the controls and always used them when transporting. I should clarify, I am a one hand control operator. I've ran JD machines for twenty years and always had mine set up with both blade lift levers in my right palm. Because of that history I struggled with the arm rest controls which put the blade lift levers at each outer lever as in a standard rack system. I've never understood the theory that blade lift levers should be on opposite ends of the controls. In my opinion that's a stupid design that should have been thrown out long ago. Cat even stuck with that concept with their Joysticks for no logical reason. I could not run the left hand arm rest levers on the GP without having to pick up my hand and relocate. JD claims these levers can all be ran with only finger movement but I didn't find that to be true. It's my opinion that JD missed the mark on this design. I prefer the Cat Joystick version. The only thing I could do better with the JD design was steer. I found the steering system to be very good and I could immediately steer in a straight line. I thought at first the hydraulics were a lot faster on the GP. Then I realized that it's an electronic over hydraulic design. When a lever is moved it electronically opens the hydraulic valve to it's maximum capacity. There's no subtle hydraulic movement like can be achieved with a mechanical lever. I struggled with that a little in the beginning but soon adjusted myself. I really liked the seat and arm rest design in the GP. JD got this part right. Lot more comfortable than the Cat M with better adjustment choices. The arm rests move with the chair so sliding the seat forward or backward had no effect on location of the controls, they move with you. The arm rests can also be slid for and aft from the chair to allow for arm length. They can also be raised or lowered as well as tilted forward or rearward. Very comfortable setup that left me with no ill effects after sitting in it all day. I enjoyed that part. Kudos to JD there. Cat should take notes.
My township keeps a low hour machine. They trade every four years. Unless something drastic happens in the price area we will trade for a G model and not the GP model. For our use the machine doesn't offer anything in the GP model to justify the $17K. We do road maintenance. The GP controls won't make the machine more effective in our use. It won't pay back any money with better efficiency so is hard to justify. Irregardless of personal preferences, it's simply not the best spending of taxpayers money for us. Also understand I compared the JD672GP to a JD770D. With that said, the 600 series G is gutless. If you have the blade loaded, pushing in 3rd or 4th and engage the AWD you immediately drop a transmission gear. Or if pushing a loaded blade up a hill in 4th you are looking for 3rd. I normally make the first two passes at 7 mph using 5th gear, 1500 rpm with the 770 and the final pass at 14 mph in 6th. The 672 didn't like that at all. It needed the rpms so I ran wide open throttle in 4th and finished in 6th on flat ground and/or 5th and sometimes 4th in hills. Also understand that my 770 is on 17.5" tires and the 672 is on 14" tires. The traction difference is huge. Same with machine stability. Just sits on the ground better with the wider tires. I didn't use the AWD very often. I tried to use it for traction when grading in hills rather than locking the rear diff but didn't like the speed drop due to no guts. I did use it cleaning out a couple ditches since it was very muddy when I ran the machine. There are some little changes on the G model that are nice to have items. The serviceability gain is worthy. Otherwise I just didn't see much improvement. I'm not saying the G/GP machines are good machines. I'm just saying they are following the D model which is an exceptional machine.
Great writup and pics thank you.
Interesting -- thanks. Out of curiosity, does it really matter if you can't see the ground in front of the main frame? My perception would have been that it's not a huge visibility block (only, what, ten inches across?), but I'm also not a blade hand. Just asking because I'm not knowledgable on the real-world application of this.
You are a very Lucky Man!
Hi OVRSZD, A lot of interesting info on the new Deere G series grader, good stuff to read. Just wondering on the comment about the 600 series being gutless, I presume you are comparing it to the larger machine? What is your opinion of the 672GP, or a 670G, power wise compared to the 670D or a similar sized machine of a different brand? I learn't to operate a grader on a 670B ages ago. Spent some time on a cat 12 G and currently on a Komatsu. Getting a new grader in 12 months, so am hungry for lots of information. Cheers, Mick.
When doing road maintainence, ditching, leveling gravel, spreading asphalt or whatever, seeing the road ahead is very important. Looking at the pictures there is quite a difference between the two graders on the site distance in front of the machines. I like to see what is directly in front of the machine for various reasons. Although its only 10 inches or so across it would make a difference. Great write up!
nice pics and wright up we just ordered two 670g last week here that county i work for I will be running one the machines we went to dogecity yesterday to a demo and was able to run both g&gp machines loved them both. Was most impressed with servicabilty on the machines will actually be looking forward to changing oil! Machines are supposed to be here in september can't wait should be a big improvement over my current 720b volvo!
We don't have a JD G series Grader but others who do are saying it is hard on fuel. If you run a G series Grader please let us know how the fuel consumption is. Nice pictures. The G series is a nice looking machine. I like the high frame design it makes it look like a grader now. Even the Cat M went to the low frame in front and they spoiled the look. Thanks
Operators tend to develop personal habits as to what they watch as they run. I look at the roadbed ahead of me. I like to be able to see my front tires also. I don't spend a lot of time watching the ground behind my blade. I figure that's too late. I watch the approaching roadbed, feel the blade, watch the tailings coming off the end of the blade and use the mirrors to see the effect. The loss of forward visibility is a huge deal to me. Especially pushing snow. For a construction operator that is finishing grade or using an electronic system he might not miss forward visibility as much. Or for an operator that spends his day staring at the blade it might not be a big deal.
I am truly Blessed. I do Grader work as a part time job. My primary business is Army. I'm retiring from the Army next year with 40 years service. I look forward to spending more time relaxing in a Grader.
Opinions are always based on a person's background. I made my comments about the 672GP based on my experiences in the 770D. On paper they don't appear to be very far apart as to HP and Torque claims. But in reality, there's no comparison. The 770D will pull down a few hundred rpms and continue to develp productive HP, the 672GP won't. As soon as the rpms start dropping it loses productivity and if not careful you will find yourself operating at too low rpm. All of this said without the AWD engaged. Flip that switch and the 600 series lack of power leaps out at you. I started on a 670B, then 770BH, 770CH, 770D and this 672G. I think Deere has improved their HP and torque numbers with every model change. I don't think I would be making negative comments about the HP and torque of a 772GP. The 600 and 700 series Deere machines are the same basic chassis with only a slightly larger powertrain. The only other brand machine I can compare to would be a Cat 140M. I found it gutless as well. Keep the rpms at the governor and it's fine, it just won't pull as well as the old 140H or a 700 series Deere. In my experiences I think the 600 series Deere is a better comparison to the 140 series Cat. I'm a country guy. I drive a Ford Super Duty with 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. My Son drives a Super Duty with a 5.4L gas engine. In my opinion his truck is gutless. Nice useable truck, but gutless. I find the 600 series Deere and 140M Cat to be the same, nice machines, just gutless. In my world it's not a big deal doing summer maintenance. It'll just take you a little longer to do the same work. Hook the snow plow on the front and it's a huge deal.
I think Deere machines are harder on fuel than Cat. I can cut my fuel consumption by 30% running in 5th gear at 1500 rpm versus 4th gear at 2180 rpm. That's why I run that way doing my first two passes. I don't loose any productivity and save operating costs. I had the privilege to do a comparison of the Cat M to my Deere a couple years ago. I found the forward visibility to be worse in the Cat than the G Deere. Cat also uses a high frame design. I could care less what the machine looks like when standing outside. It's a piece of construction equipment and I only look at it with productivity in mind. I care what it looks like when sitting in the seat looking out. Here's a couple pics of a 140M.
Here's a couple more. Cat claimed to have gained blade height with their frame design change. And they might have because I didn't think to do a comparison with the Cat 140H that was traded in for this new M model. But if they gained, all they did was catch up to Deere.
hey guys just my opinion ,i run a 870g .i find there is lots of low end grunt as well as lots of power in the top gears when plowing.snow in winter.and i plow in 8th gear as much as i can on a 60 km run
I think there's a big jump in power between the 600 and 700 series. I can only imagine the additional jump to the 800 series. Being a HP junkie, I am envious of your position!!! I push snow in 6th and 7th depending on road conditions, 14-20 mph. I also think tire size comes into play in snow. My 770D runs 17.5" tires. I assume the 870 also runs these or maybe the metric equivalent?? Love my wider tires, especially with chains. One note about the G AWD models. The 600 series will only function in the first 4 speeds. It disconnects when shifted to 5th and above. Obviously Deere doesn't feel the 600 series have enough power to handle anything higher. The 700 and 800 series will function up thru 7th.
We had a JD 772D to try and we found the blade lift was not even close to a Cat 140H. Every time when you turn off the road into the ditch to turn around we'ed take the slope with us. The 140H turned right next to the spot and never even came close to scraping the ground. We parked them side by side and even showed the sales man and couldn't believe it that we were right. Never had a chance to try a series G yet so I don't know how they compare to the blade height agaisnt a H series Cat. I drove a M around and blade height seemed the same as the H.
ovrszd Thanks for your service I could only Handle 21 yrs B Armstrong ENC USN Retired
G'day OVRSZD, thanks for that info, its all good material to read and to remember, good pictures as well. cheers.
Good read OVRSZD. I like the side by side comparison. Now you have me scratching my head about the frame. If the blade movement is not restricted in any way, why not have it low like the "D"? How about in slope position? is there a difference in reach there?
Hmmmmm. That has me thinking. I've talked to several operators of the H model Cats around here. They all complained about lack of blade height when lifted. Cat says the M has improved blade lift height. As you can see by the pictures above, the Cat M has the same blade lift height as the D model Deere. I find it hard to believe the Cat M lost blade lift height. But if what you are saying is true they surely did. Wish I had done a picture comparison of the Cat H and Deere D.
That's a good question. I never thought to do photo comparisons in slope position. I played around with the G model in slope mode and didn't notice any obvious differences. I'm sure an engineer type would offer all sorts of technical reasons they changed the main frame design. But honestly,, in my world it's purely cosmetic. Thinking back to the first views of the Cat M, most people were all excited about how it looked. Then Deere comes along and does the same thing. Now there's excitement about how good looking the new Deere is. But in my opinion no productivity was gained, purely cosmetic with a loss of forward visibility. Go figure. :beatsme
Good Used JD Graders at Very Reasonable Prices! If anyone has any interest let me know and I will get you one.