Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jeep Fuel pump stopped working

Old Doug · 2024-07-13 21:50

I want to license my M38A1 this summer . I hauled it to a show last summer other than that it hasn't run a lot in years . I started it and went for a sort drive. Then i thought i would drive it about 3 miles on a gravel to a small town and back . I was headed back and it died . It wasnt getting any gas to the carburetor . I found a small jug along the road cut the top out of it . I could reach in the gas tank fill it then fill the carburetor through the overflow tube . I could make it 1/4 mile? It took about 14 fills to make it home. I have a small tool kit in my jeep and was thinking what could happen ? If i had a length of gas line with me and a small gas jug i could have rigged up something . I am going to rethink my tool kit.

Replies2
  1. #1Deere500a2024-07-14 01:47

    YouTube Low-Buck garage is a good watch for willy jeeps & troubleshooting fuel pumps, vapor lock & headache with modern amc vs the old pump psi

  2. #2Old Doug2024-07-14 17:10

    I pulled the fuel pump off and found one of the valves had fallen out i pushed it back in and dimpled around it with a center punch . Its working for now . I have a electric pump i will carry with me for a while.