Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG 1432 commander scissors lift drive motor question

joispoi ยท 2012-04-28 05:17

I just bought a JLG 1432 scissors lift to do some work on my house.:cool2 Getting it from the trailer to the garage, it got into several situations where it was spinning only 1 wheel. ointhead I thought at first that one of the drive motors was shot until I got it to a point where the other wheel was spinning. Is there a proportioning valve that should ensure that BOTH wheels get power? Or is completely open differential type drive the norm on these things? :beatsme

Replies7
  1. #1VoodooMojo2012-04-28 07:43

    Is this a toggle-switch drive machine or does it have a joystick? most of the commanders had a "positive traction" switch toggle switch drive had the positive traction switch on the side of the control box. joystick machines had the switch on the top of the control box.

  2. #2VoodooMojo2012-04-28 08:03

    I guess my first question should be: Does it have a steel upper control box or a plastic one?

  3. #3joispoi2012-04-28 08:33

    Thanks for the reply VoodooMojo. :drinkup I found the traction control switch. It would have come in handy while I was out in the rain on my gravel driveway cursing at it for not being able to get out of its own way this morning. :Banghead:Banghead It's amazing how useless 1 wheel drive is on loose wet gravel.

  4. #4VoodooMojo2012-04-28 09:00

    For good reason they are referred to as "slab machines" designed to be used on a "firm level surface". When the posi-traction switch is activated, a flow-divider is introduced into the circuit. This pushes oil over both drive wheels simultaneously. Congratulations on your new aquisition! Many feel the Commander series is the "best damned scissorlift" ever manufactured.

  5. #5joispoi2012-04-28 09:39

    Thanks! I'm happy with it and encouraged by your comments. It's good to hear positive reviews. I'm going to adapt a sheetrock lift to it, make a small tool basket and add a small work surface that will hook onto the guard rail. It should be pretty handy- between the garage, workshop and family room I have over 1,100 sf to insulate and sheetrock. It's mostly a nights and weekends project so having the lift on hand without the burden of a rental contract is going to be a luxury.:cool2

  6. #6oceanobob2012-04-28 17:05

    On two of our scissor lifts we have welded up some smallish square tubing to act as a "slip on over the rail shelf bracket", the shelf (piece of plank) can be outboard or inboard, this side or the other side - or not at all. A thin piece of wood nailed around the edge of the plank keeps stuff from rolling off. Sometimes we clamp a 2x in the corner to hold a light so we can see what we're doing when we are up there.

  7. #7joispoi2012-04-30 16:04

    Oceanbob, great minds think alike.