Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New Anti-Theft Prototype, Your Thoughts Please…

Daniel_Melchior ยท 2012-04-28 21:35

Hi everyone, To be clear, I am not trying to sell this to anyone (it isn't even on the market, the video is showing a prototype), just want to get your thoughts on this device - we call it Universal Lockdown . (The name is a play on words for "universal" keys a.ka. "one-key-fits-all") What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? How could it be improved? Would you buy it if it was on the market? Any other comments... A small note about the device - It can be used on most any lock assembly, a tractor cab door, side panels, etc. not just the ignition switch as shown on the video. The idea is to deter theft. I could explain in more detail but it'd be better if you just take a look at the video on the site. I am trying to get this device licensed by any or all of the major equipment manufacturers. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Replies16
  1. #1John C.2012-04-29 18:30

    The thing looks like a good idea but the issue of universal keys is so that everybody in your crew has access to the machine. If I buy your device I have to buy all new keys for the crew. Many times machines are left in spots so than many different crews can load trucks out of the same spot. How about low boy drivers that are moving equipment around all the time for different people. Do you put your personnel key is their pockets also. It wasn't long ago that Timberjack had specific keys for each machine they built. I can't tell you how big a pain that was for multiple operators, truck drivers and mechanics. It also looks like you have added some kind of receiver onto the end of the standard switch. Depending on the machine I would be concerned about how far out that item protrudes into the working space of the machine.

  2. #2buckfever2012-04-29 18:59

    I like it, seems simple enought that it won't be a nightmare to give lasting reliability. Like John C said I don't think this is a good device for larger outfits but a company with a few pieces would definatly benifit. Something to look at is if installing these would give you some kind of reduction on your insureance. If so I don't think it would be long before they paid themselves off. Keep up the work and let us know how it works out.

  3. #3dblaneyfan2012-04-29 22:08

    The first design issue I see is that it is too long. Someone could stomp on it and quickly rip the entire assembly out of the dash exposing the ignition wiring.

  4. #4Tyler Abernethy2012-04-29 22:21

    My initial thoughts say, depending on the price, it is definitely a viable product. Depending on your equipment, you're protecting a very large investment.

  5. #5Tyler Abernethy2012-04-29 22:42

    That is a good point though. Maybe you could make the assembly about half of its size, and flare the sides out, that way you wouldn't risk near as much blunt trauma.

  6. #6Greg2012-04-30 07:56

    It is an excellent idea. However if someone wants to steal the piece of equipment they will figure out a way. Hot wire it, a good hit with a hammer will dislodge the OEM switch from it original mounted position and allow the thief to jump the wires on the switch. Any number of things. But, it is another way to at least slow them up. Keep up the good work!!!!!!!!

  7. #7Nige2012-04-30 09:32

    I'm of the same opinion as some of the other guys here. The Universal Lockdown "attachment" appears to be pretty heavy and solid. Therefore it could be used as a lever to break the factory-fit ignition switch out of the dashboard, by doing so exposing the wiring and enabling the machine to be hot-wired. Unfortunately in these days of plastic dashboards it would not be too difficult to do. As a personal preference for machines with electronics installed on them I would like to see a method of being able to disable the electronics remotely, a bit like Cat's Product Link system. I know that sort of system would be much more expensive but my answer to that is "how much is your machine worth to you?".

  8. #8Daniel_Melchior2012-04-30 21:05

    Thanks for all of the constructive criticism and feedback! From your input so far and elseware it seems that so far the primary concern is with bypassing the system through hot-wiring or ripping out the dash. These are concerns that will undoubtedly need to be addressed, especially for tractors with no enclosed cab (for those that do have enclosed cabs, you could put locks on the doors, adding another layer of protection). Something else for you to think about: I have had many people express concerns who have large fleets of tractors, and often not all tractors are of the same brand. They say "I'm not carrying around 30 keys for all of these tractors when I could have only 5 or 6". But here is where they are wrong - they could have each tractor equipped with a Universal Lockdown device that is keyed the same, just like you would have done on your door locks at home. Then they would only need one key for all the tractors, no matter the brand. Thanks a lot, keep the feedback coming!

  9. #9Hendrik2012-05-05 23:56

    I am thinking that a GPS tracking system would be a better way to protect a piece of equipment. What about a professional thief picking the lock?

  10. #10willie592012-05-06 00:04

    Agreed Hendrik, GPS is the best way to monitor a piece of equipment. But my experience of GPS equipment, it has to be mounted "in the open", not hidden under or behind panels of machines, and a thief that knows his trade will have it on top of his list to look for and disable GPS equipment. I think what Tyler is attempting to produce is a user friendly product that prevents you're machine from being loaded onto a trailer forcing you into a position to have to track it by GPS. That is...if it's still working.

  11. #11dirtmonkey2012-05-06 08:42

    I think your product would be a viable option. All products have their draw backs , be it size, cost , hard to use etc..etc.. Any deterant is better than none. Even if it only slows them down a bit. For small fleet owners as my self , this is better than nothing ! Put some on the market and get real feed back, see what happens. If you believe in your product don't quit and keep trying. Good luck:thumbsup

  12. #12Tyler Abernethy2012-05-08 21:31

    What is the price point that you are considering for this when it hits the market?

  13. #13Randy882012-05-09 06:47

    I think it will help to deter the honest thieves, all the rest it won't do much for, anyone wanting a piece of equipement can and will get the machine no matter how well its protected or how many measures you take to try to foil them, they can bypass anything out on the market today, including gps tracking, computers, keypad ignition switches, panel locks, hidden master switches, if its man made they can figure a way around it, your is no different. About the only one's it'll deter is kids who are not smart enough to bypass anything and they will smash and vandalize the machine instead of stealing it, your device makes it very easy to just bust up the switch and dash its attached into easier is all from what I see. Don't get me wrong, you have a nice idea and the time you spent on it was probably pretty extensive but in the end, anyone with a hammer can access the wires behind the switch to hot wire or bypass the switch anyhow, even if your mechanism is on it or not, its like a door lock, a rock through the window and the lock is bypassed anyhow. Thanks for sharing with us just the same, I like to see new ideas that people have.

  14. #14dirtmonkey2012-05-09 08:05

    Sad but true :Banghead I don't want to discourage anyone from doing what they believe in. Your getting good feed back on here so don't give up

  15. #15Axle2012-05-13 21:33

    What attaches it to the dash? Have you done destructive testing? Honestly, my first thought would be to rekey my machines if I wanted my "own" key, or groups of keyed alike machines. Alex.

  16. #16ColUp2012-10-22 10:43

    Like this idea. I've been looking into loss prevention for a while now and feel strongly about GPS tracking devices being the only solution. This is the latest I've heard: http://www.robertleeplant.co.uk/article-construction-tracking-solutions#.UIVIjI7gKS4 - not sure if there have been any developments surrounding this recently? Also, I suppose this won't deter theft initally.