Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jlg

charlie4 ยท 2015-05-14 10:26

I have a 1995 JLG 40 with a 4 cyl Ford motor. When I start it, it will run for maybe 10 minutes then die. It will usually restart then die again almost right away. This goes on tell it won't start at all. If you let it sit for about an hour, it will start the process all over again. It has an electric fuel pump. I have disconnected the fuel line from the carb. and run out 10 gallons of gas into cans. It pumps fuel fine. It has a new fuel filter. Any ideas? Thanks in advance-

Replies2
  1. #1OFF2015-05-14 22:22

    Welcome Charlie, On the base of the carburetor, there is an electrical solenoid with a single wire running to it. This is the fuel shut-off solenoid (anti-diesel solenoid). Make sure you are not losing power to this solenoid. Losing power would shut the gas off & kill the engine. If power is good, replace this solenoid. it's a Zeinith item. Another possibility if your machine is duel fuel - the fuel toggle switch in the basket gives trouble quite often. Check that out carefully.

  2. #2charlie42015-05-16 13:04

    Thank you for this advice. I removed the solenoid and plugged the hole. It still did the same exact thing, starts running a little rough and then dies. It will only run for a few seconds at that point.