Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG 40H engine identification

workin' man · 2020-11-15 12:44

looks like this is prolly a better forum to post in. trying to identify what engine i have on a 1996 jlg 40h. its a ford industrial and the only thing i found was an engine casting number tried to find a decode didnt help i know theres a couple different ones it could be any help appreciated

Replies13
  1. #1OFF2020-11-15 13:20

    It should be this one. http://manuals.minutemanintl.net/PowerBoss/Engines/Ford/VSG_411_413_PARTS_LIST.pdf

  2. #2workin' man2020-11-15 16:40

    That’s exactly the kind of manual I am looking for, however, in the jlg parts and service manuals that I have downloaded from jlg.... they only refer to a LSG/LRG 423 or a LSG425.

  3. #3OFF2020-11-15 17:24

    If that looks like the engine you have (check the valve cover shape) it was originally a British Ford engine from the 70's and maybe 60's even. Used in Cortina and other English ford cars and the 71 Pinto. 1100, 1300, and 1600 CC. Pretty good engine.

  4. #4workin' man2020-11-15 19:08

    Any chance you have the manuals for the 423 and 425?

  5. #5OFF2020-11-15 19:23

    https://www.wincogen.com/wp-content/uploads/PD/Engines/ford_lsg-423_op_maint_manual.pdf http://www.coulsoncompression.com/resources/docs/194-303 LRG425 Service Manual.pdf

  6. #6workin' man2020-11-16 16:01

    Thanks for that. Now I just have to figure out which one of those 2 I have

  7. #7excavator2020-11-16 16:13

    I know that you have worked on way more 40H's than I ever will but every one I've seen has always had a 423 or 425 in them. Was the 411 & 413 the early version?

  8. #8OFF2020-11-16 18:44

    The 40H and 40HA that I knew well both had a 411/413 series in them. I thought they were mid 90's, but I could be wrong on the date. They are both long gone, and it was 20 years ago. Probably a special order with the cheapest possible engine. I dunno. Now, was there ever a carburetored 425? I didn't see 425's until fuel injection came in.

  9. #9excavator2020-11-16 18:50

    I will have to confirm for sure but I'm quite sure the one I work on the most has an LRG425 carbureted. Goofy set up DIS ignition and carburetor, not one of Fords better ideas. Can't really complain though since it's got just about 10,000 hours on it.

  10. #10OFF2020-11-16 19:00

    I hope I never see another one of those Zenith carburetors.

  11. #11excavator2020-11-16 19:21

    Tell me about it, I decided it was finally time to replace the carb so I went on line and found a company selling new Zenith carbs in the Seattle area for just a little over $500.00. I bought and installed one and it barely ran, I didn't have alot of time to mess with it that day so I parked it and came back a week later. It wouldn't fire at all so I took the carb apart and the float had expanded to the point it was hitting the body. Some nice guy from Alberta gave me a bunch of parts a few years ago and there was a new float so I installed that. It still wouldn't run so I ended up having to put the old needle and seat in the new carb to make it run and so far, knock on wood it's been starting and running great. This company does agricultural buildings and has a Genie 45/25, a JLG 450A and a few others but the old 40H is their favorite, it's a very smooth operating lift.

  12. #12OFF2020-11-16 21:18

    Diesel power was the best thing to ever happen to JLG & Genie. The young guys don't even know what to do with a carb. We still have one old Genie Z45/22 with a 423. I say, "the seasons are changing, it needs the choke set". They say, "what's a choke?"

  13. #13willie592020-11-16 22:47

    Not to mention what ethanol gas does to a carb if it's not in use on a regular basis, that stuff kills a carburetor beyond remedy.