Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG 40H manlift w/ Ford 423 gas engine

Walt F ยท 2016-08-12 10:40

I have no spark. Is there a way to test the ignition module? Also, is there a timing sensor for the cam? It was running then quit and I can't seem to get spark. I am looking for advise. Thanks

Replies6
  1. #1OFF2016-08-13 21:29

    Welcome Walt, does your Ford 423 have a normal looking distributor cap, round ignition coil, a carburetor, and a semi-finned aluminium looking module with 2 wiring pigtails coming out of it? or does it have The newer system has a rectangular ignition coil with all 4 plug wires plugging directly into the coil (no distributor) A 40H should be fairly old, but it could still have either system.

  2. #2PJ The Kid2016-08-18 08:30

    Second what OFF said. Finally something I may be able to help with

  3. #3Multiracer2016-08-18 15:33

    I can't help the OP but I have an old 40H 1989 that has been updated to a distributorless 425 engine. My question is where to find a decent wiring schematic, it came with some burnt wires and a lot of "jumped" wiring. TYIA Ron

  4. #4Rentalmechanic2016-09-13 20:14

    Off ,those motors are coil packs. A number of possiblity would cause it not to have spark

  5. #5PJ The Kid2016-09-15 08:35

    If it is coil pack, check cam and crank sensors, check for solid power, pulsing power, and ground on the coil connector.

  6. #6Newfiedan2016-09-23 23:04

    If you have the distributorless system and there is no spark you need to check for power on the coil pack center terminal and then it needs to get a crank signal from the crank sensor to pulse the coil pack check it with a/c reading on a voltmeter you should see between 0.5 to 1.6 volts a/c. For a wiring schematic I would need to know what module you have the small black one or the larger silver one. Also if it is carbed or fuel injected. Usually no spark is caused by 2 things no crank signal or the ecm thinks you are over temp.