Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG 40HA problems

rbcanaday ยท 2015-03-11 21:27

I just bought a jlg 40HA with the deutz diesel and standard controls. I went and checked it out and everything worked except the tower and upright cylinders. the upright cylinders is bad (pouring fluid) and the tower cylinder will not retract. I figured they were synced together and the leak was causing a difference in pressure locking the tower cylinder in place. This sound right?? thought the 40HA had manual lowering valves for emergency lowering of basket. I dont see any valves though.?? Now the real problem, it wont move! when it was unloaded it drove fine. I drove it around for few shut it off, went back hour later and it wouldnt move. I messed with few different things like lowering main boom and swinging unit, suddenly its started driving. I drove it about 400 yards using fwd and rev then all of sudden it just quit again. if I turn wheels back and fourth and move drive lever sometimes i see wheels jump as if its trying to move but nothing more than a pulse. Please help

Replies11
  1. #1rbcanaday2015-03-14 03:39

    Went back next day. Cranked lift up and it moved fine. After running it a few hundred yards it got slower and slower until it quit. ?!

  2. #2willie592015-03-14 11:27

    Welcome to HEF rbcanaday. :drinkup This is going to be an interesting problem to sort out, gonna need some more info. You're saying the drive function quits working? Aside from the tower problem, does boom functions still work when it quits driving? Does it have PQ proportional controllers on drive, boom lift, and boom swing?

  3. #3rbcanaday2015-03-14 16:52

    Thanks for the reply willie59. Yes when the drive quits all other functions seem to be working. Only have the PQ controller for the drive. boom lift and swing are toggle switches.

  4. #4rbcanaday2015-03-14 16:54

    Since my upright cylinder is bad I figure thats why tower cylinder wont move. That make any sense or am I going about that wrong?

  5. #5willie592015-03-14 22:42

    Well drat, that's not what I wanted to hear. Many times the problem is with the proportional controller. On machines that have multiple controllers, drive, boom, swing, you just swap controllers and see if it makes a difference. Sadly, you don't have that option. Given that, you're going to have to figure out whether you have an electrical problem or a pump/motor problem. When it stops driving, you could apply 12V to terminal 16 (rev) or terminal 21 (forward) at platform terminal strip. Keep in mind the machine could lunge suddenly so brace yourself. If that works, likely a problem with the controller. If no, there's still a number of things that can cause this problem, but try that first. As for the tower/upright, is the upright vertical? Or is it leaning forward?

  6. #6willie592015-03-14 22:45

    Oh yeah, you would have to apply 12V to terminal 22 as well to release the drive motor brakes.

  7. #7rbcanaday2015-03-15 17:11

    The upright cylinder is fully retracted, the tower cylinder is fully extended. It was like that when I bought it. I will try your suggestions on the drive. Would the drive work and them slowly quit working? The way it works the then drives slower and slower makes me think pump but I'm not sure at all.

  8. #8willie592015-03-15 22:26

    Nope, tower will not come down in that configuration with upright cylinder fully retracted. It's been a long long time since I've worked on a 40HA, my memory of them is really vague, can't recall how they're plumbed, how the holding valves work, and I do recall there's a manual valve to "sync" those two cylinders, but I don't recall the procedure. But you do need to repair that leaking upright cylinder. Member Voodoomjo knows a lot more about these machines than I, haven't seen him on here for a spell, maybe he'll show up and chime in. I'll keep looking to see if I can come up with a solution, but not sure if I can help or not.

  9. #9harveje2015-03-19 21:52

    my 40ha has forward drive issues also, pushing the lever (std controls) past half way the units starts bucking, reverse is fine full range of stick. there should be a valve under the control box( mine does not have one) pull knob, raise boom 6ft, release knob, fully lower boom, repeat if needed...

  10. #10rbcanaday2015-06-23 23:16

    I have not had time to mess with the lift in a few months been busy plowing and planting crops. harbeje-My 40HA does not does not have a valve under the control box. Ive seen several people talk about this but I haven't found anything like this on my machine.

  11. #11dscont2015-12-14 22:46

    Did you ever get the tower lift problem resolved Mine is doing the same thing Thanks Jlg won't even talk to you on the phone