We have a job coming up and its going to require working at night for about 6 months. I was going to just rent a couple light towers until it was explained that we only get 8 hours a day on the meter.... I feel like now we are at the point where buying one makes more sense. Plus there have been several times where we could have used one in the past. So my question is: Who makes a good light tower? What are the preferable options to have? Looks like about all of these come with either a Kubota or Isuzu engine, i feel more comfortable with the Kubota because i have a little experience with those. I have no idea on what generators they put on them but i would prefer at least a 10kw model. I think metal halide lights would be fine, unless someone says that leds are the only way to go.... The only experience i have with these is renting a Magnum a few times..... It was completely destroyed with over 10,000 hours when we got it. Ran it for 4 months every day during the winter with absolutely no troubles at all. Seemed like a well made piece. I have looked at Allman Bros towers also, and they seem good but i have no idea other than looking one over. Any help or input would be great!
I would suggest looking at the auctions for some coming from a rental center. They turn them pretty quick, and you can usually buy one for about 4 months rental.
Are there any brands/ configurations that are better than the other?
Been a few on Auctiontime.com lately. You can search auction results by machine type and see what they have been selling for to get an idea of cost. I have been looking also but they always come up to far away from me. I would want one with outlets also so a non used machine could be plugged in. Not all have them.
Might look into balloon lights also, the diffused light is way better for some work conditions.
Those are pretty cool! Only place I've seen them is on the highway. Asphalt crews have been using them. I forgot to mention that I need to point these up about 45'.