Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG 40IC lift drive issue

tkordick ยท 2023-03-19 09:14

Hi, new member here. I have a 1998 JLG 40IC articulating lift. Yesterday during use a hydraulic line blew out and drained the reservoir while I was in the air working. Had to use manual process to lower boom. I replaced the hose, refilled reservoir and commenced working again however the lift will not drive. All booms work fine but the drive will not engage either forward or reverse. Any suggestions on what I need to do to either bleed these drive motors or what is needed to get this moving again. Prior to the hose blowing out, all systems worked correctly. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Tom

Replies1
  1. #1tkordick2023-03-21 09:38

    As a follow-up to my issue. After several hours of unsuccessful attempts to bleed at various hoses and pressure taps, although I was getting oil out just not a lot of pressure, I was able to bleed the air out of the system by removing the filter pressure sensor, installing a 1/8" NPT nipple at this pressure sensor location with a clear hose routed back to the reservoir and allowing the engine/pump to run with no back pressure. Oil with air was visible in the hose and after several minutes of running in this configuration, the gear pump picked up prime and everything started working again. I decided to go ahead and replace the filter in the event it was partially plugged.