Having trouble with cold start on propane. Will not start unless I use starting fluid. Once started it will start OK until it cools down. What control the cold start?
Which engine do you have in your lift ?
JLG typically used the Beam propane regulator on those machines . If yours has a Beam regulator, most likely a problem with the regulator idle screw, which isn't really an idle screw per se but rather it assists opening the fuel valve inside the regulator when cranking engine as there's low air flow over the venturi when cranking engine, not enough vacuum to open the fuel valve. Access to idle screw is typically blocked on the T50 and T60 regulator by a blank that's fitted to the hole once initial adjustment is made. If so, one must give it a few whacks with a dull center punch to distort the blank disk and remove it. Screw idle screw CW in 1/4 turn increments to see if there's a change in starting engine. Be sure to keep a count of how many turns you've adjusted the screw. If this doesn't remedy the problem, likely the regulator is failing internally and will require replacement.
I have a Ford engine. I will try that. Thank you
Propane is a finicky fuel, way more so than gasoline, the mixture has to be damn near perfect or it won't run. As time goes by the innards of a propane regulator begin to degrade and it's not unusual for them to get clogged up with a greasy residue inside. They sell rebuild kits for regulators but I've never had good reliable success with rebuilds, I ain't got time for stuff that don't work, for that reason I typically just drop the coin to slap a new one on the unit. But that's just me
Bought a new regulator for $150 but still will not start cold . I have to start with starting fluid. Also when I switch to platform it just stalls out. Which it did not do with the old one. Thanks
Did you purchase a Beam regulator? Did you adjust the idle screw for proper starting? There's also a vacuum switch that sends power to the propane solenoid lock off valve that has to work proper. You've got issues that are difficult for me to nail down without being at the machine.
Bought the right regulator. How do I adjust the screw? When I check the voltage to the fuel shutoff when it is cranking it is less then 12 volts but when it starts it goes to 12volts. Is it possible the vacuum switch is bad? I put 12 volt jumper wire direct to solenoid and it still will not start without starting fluid.
My experience with new Beam regulators is the idle screw is shipped lean. Turn the idle screw CW in 1/4 turn increments, crank engine, if it doesn't fire off, in a few seconds, another 1/4 turn until you get a reaction while cranking, fine tune from there. That is if all other components are working proper, vacuum switch and propane lock off solenoid.
Thanks for the information on the adjustment screw. It now starts on a couple cranks. I have one other question on the high speed. The micro switch. It never touches the boom when it is lowered. How should I adjust this switch in relation to the height? Thanks for all your help.
That adjustment should be covered in the JLG maintenance manual, you can download the operator, parts, and maintenance manuals from the JLG website. But otherwise, as long as you have it tripping the micro switch when the boom is around horizontal when booming down that should suffice until you find the correct height adjustment.
thanks