Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG 450 AJ safety question

bowser ยท 2017-08-09 14:44

As I get a little older, I have gotten more cautious. I have often wondered what would happen if a hydraulic line to the main boom, secondary boom or jib were to burst, would the lift just crash to the ground or (as I hope) is there a sufficient back-up system where I don't need to worry about this. The hoses all look good but this question still enters my mind often.

Replies5
  1. #192U 34062017-08-09 16:34

    They've all got holding valves on the cylinders. Blow a line it should stay in place.

  2. #2bowser2017-08-10 09:00

    Thank you 92U 3406. That does help me to feel better considering that this type of thing is your job. I appreciate your response.

  3. #392U 34062017-08-10 09:14

    On the flip side though you will likely be stuck in the air if a line does go. Also be aware that if a holding valve starts weeping a lot out the vent hole near the end that it is starting to fail and should probably get replaced.

  4. #4willie592017-08-10 21:22

    Yep, but hey, better than rapid re-entry to earth. Keep your cell phone with ya.

  5. #5hduhwehduhw2017-08-27 08:29

    Unfortunately some Oil and Gas worksites do not allow the bringing of mobile phones .