Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG 450A Basket swivel problem

slwbid · 2020-07-24 23:56

I have a 2002 model jlg450a duetz diesel 4x2. About 30 hours ago, the basket swivel to right and left, started 'drifting' if on hillside. You could hit the bam bam switch and get it back in position, but would slowly drift again. When level there seemed to be almost no problem. More recently, it started getting so it would not swivel to the left very well or very far. Now the issue is starting to affect the swivel in both directions such that it will almost not swivel at all. Any ideas/help certainly appreciated. I so enjoy this forum. There are 1000s of years experience on this forums with 1000s of different types equipment. You guys who can read the electrical and hydraulic schematics amaze me. I want very much to know how to learn to read them, but hardly know where to start. I stare at them until my eyes bleed sometimes. Thanks for any assistance on my issue Stacy

Replies4
  1. #1crane operator2020-07-25 16:09

    I've never pulled one apart- but I'm going to say your problem is in the swivel here. Those hoses throw the hyd. each way to rotate, and I'm betting that whatever is inside it for seals it is bad, and your flow is just bypassing each way. So the basket both drifts, and doesn't want to turn. I think you will have to pull the top and bottom of it off, and pull the basket off to fix it, a service manual and a parts breakdown drawing would show how its put together. If I was fixing it, I'd telescope the boom out until the basket could rest on some blocks. Block the basket securely, and then pull the swivel apart. But I would get a drawing of it first.

  2. #2MarshallPowerGen2020-07-26 18:08

    The two plugs on the side of the swivel should be bleeders, loose them and operated your swivel and see if air bubbles come out with the fluid. Outside of that and pressure testing the lines, I'd agree with Crane Operator that it will be internal to the swivel. We don't even bother rebuilding them, just replace the whole thing. Faster and safer that way. Ends up taking less than an hour with just some blocks or jackstands and basic hand tools.

  3. #3slwbid2020-07-27 15:57

    Thanks guys. The one pictured by crane operator seems a bit different than mine. See my attached pic and can you point out the bleeders please? Also I forgot to mention that you can catch hold of the basket and swivel it by hand Also when trying to swivel (and it does a little), the Motor is straining as if it’s trying

  4. #4crane operator2020-07-29 22:02

    Looks like you don't have a swivel/ orbital. Your basket is pivoted by the two cylinders. Looks like bleeder lines opposite of where the hoses enter, on the top of the cylinder. Check those both for air. It could also be a manifold issue, where it switches from left to right, or the cylinders may be bad. I'd check for air first. If that doesn't help, then I would probably loosen the hyd lines and make sure I had flow/ fluid each direction, and last check the valve. With the dual cylinders, I kind of doubt its the cylinders, because they would both have to be bad or it would at least swing one direction.