Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG 450A Electrical problem

SL Construction ยท 2019-05-02 21:03

Hey All, I had the inherited 450A running fine last fall. Still having issues with the tilt sensor but that can wait. I put a new battery in it and it was fine for about a week but now it won't start. The switches work sometimes and sometimes not. When switched on at the ground panel the lights illuminate but no or a very weak buzzer sound. When you hit the start switch it will just click loudly once and then no power to anything. Is there a fuze/relay/breaker that is tripping? I cleaned the battery terminals and the connections at the starter and ground. Thanks, Scott

Replies9
  1. #1Bls repair2019-05-03 17:17

    What is the charging voltage?

  2. #2SL Construction2019-05-03 19:10

    No idea as it won't start. Battery was fully charged and even tried it with boost of my battery charger. It just makes one loud click then zip.

  3. #3Bls repair2019-05-03 19:48

    Sounds like it could have a bad connection hot or ground ,or bad starter solenoid

  4. #4SL Construction2019-05-04 10:11

    I was thinking that too, but cleaned the ones I could reach. Maybe it is the starter? I just realized that I had the parts manual downloaded and there's a circuit breaker on the hot lead going to the control panel. Maybe it's that?

  5. #5SL Construction2019-05-06 18:28

    So I cleaned the terminals on both solenoids and still nothing. I had help and the loud click is at the starter. Once it clicks I have to remove the hot lead on the battery for it to re-energize the system again. Also inside the control box on the upper left side there is what I believe a relay that is making the weak buzzing sound. I'm a bit stumped.

  6. #6gatorsby72019-05-08 19:36

    if you have a multimeter, do a voltage drop test

  7. #7Vetech632019-05-08 19:43

    It sounds like your starter motor is hanging in the engine flywheel and drawing current causing the lights to dim and the buzzer to be weak. Try a new starter motor or get your rebuilt.

  8. #8SL Construction2019-05-08 21:12

    Well I had some time tonight to mess with it more and ended up jumping across the starter and it started right up. I'm really beginning to believe the hot lead has a bad end on it as I still had to keep wiggling it around to make contact. Seems weird that I keep having to do that.

  9. #9slwbid2020-07-24 23:01

    SL Construction did you get this problem resolved? if so, how? I had a similar problem once. battery was hot, but checked back of switch and was only getting about 11.5 volts. Apparently there are some components that just wont kick in with low voltage. Long story short, I traced the main hot wire from battery all way to switch. Found where someone had done a poor job of splicing leaving splice exposed to weather and corrosion. Repaired that and fixed the problem