Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG 860 sj

Richard Shearouse ยท 2022-09-02 10:12

We bought this lift,went and tested it out before we bought it and when we got it back to the shop, nothing worked, I did finally get it to start and operate from the ground control panel after fixing some hacked up wiring but I still can't get anything to work from the basket. The computer in the ground control box is flashing a code 66 (can bus failure ) . And there are wires ran all which kind of ways in both panels. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the wire placement on the key selector switch should be? I have the service manual but it doesn't pin out the terminals on that switch. Thanks for any input greatfully!

Replies10
  1. #1Txhayseed2022-09-02 19:39

    Whats your serial number ? If it worked then didn't work it would not be the key switch. If your getting a can bus failure and no basket action and it happened after you used the machine you probably have a issue with the boom cable. Or platform e stop. Open platform box and check for power to e stop switch. If your not getting power then Most likely somewhere , usually with in the cat track or up by the basket/rotator area the cables get damaged. Also where cables double back to transition boom sections the clamps come loose and cable rubs. Best way is to unplug cable from platform and ground box and get your meter out. Pick a side and jumper two wires at a time and go to corresponding two wires on opposite plug and ohm them out. See if all wires have continuity from plug to plug. The term can bus failure with j LG is applied loosely. It really just means you got a wiring issue. You can test key switch if you want... Its just on/off/on. Power in one side hot with ground mode on. When switched opposite side gets hot. Really all key switch does. E stops controll power.

  2. #2Richard Shearouse2022-09-03 07:35

    Thanks for the info , I have found a couple of shoddy wire splices up by the basket , you know the type that are just wires skinned back and twisted together,no tape or anything,and one of those weren't even making continuity, going to focus on fixing some of this wiring today . If anything else comes tind please feel free to let me know,once again thank you for your help! Serial number is:0300065568

  3. #3Richard Shearouse2022-09-06 08:10

    9/6/22 Thanks for the info Txhayseed, I have found a couple of shoddy wire splices up by the basket , you know the type that are just wires skinned back and twisted together,no tape or anything,and one of those weren't even making continuity, going to focus on fixing some of this wiring today . If anything else comes tind please feel free to let me know,once again thank you for your help! Serial number is:0300065568

  4. #4Richard Shearouse2022-09-06 08:12

    Txhayseed,can you tell me what the wire locations should be for the switch,I should have a new one today,once again thank you for your help!

  5. #5Txhayseed2022-09-06 21:13

    I would wire it just like your is now. Here again when you turn the key switch to basket and go the basket and pull the estop up it powers up and like wise the reverse scenario from ground controls ??

  6. #6Richard Shearouse2022-09-08 06:45

    I would if they hadn't been cut and bypassed, including the estop was bypassed as well , I have attached the two main pages of schematics as well. Thanks for your help !

  7. #7Txhayseed2022-09-08 23:59

    If its been bypassed, cut and Jerry rigged and If your not able to work it out from the schematic you probably need to bring in a mechanic with experience. I would not use or allow someone to use a boom lift with out emergency stops in place and functioning or one with issues that affect safety If e stops are bypassed I would stop there. Unfortunately there is not anyway to tell you over a forum how each and every wire goes. I see exactly what you see on the schematic just not the machine..

  8. #8Richard Shearouse2022-09-15 15:19

    I am an experienced mechanic,just never worked on this particular type of machine and was just looking for some friendly advice,thanks anyway sir.

  9. #9Txhayseed2022-09-15 21:17

    Thats about all the friendly advice I can give over a forum. When wiring is bad/cut/hacked and butchered and stuff has been Jimmy jammed you almost have to be there hands on to get the full scope.

  10. #10Richard Shearouse2022-09-16 07:30

    I think this is the worst one I have ever seen. The estops and selector switch is where I keep running into problems on the schematics,it doesn't clearly show how the wires hook up to the terminals