Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG Accuplace

Framer · 2010-02-02 09:55

What do people think about he new JLG with accuplace. Has anybody used one? Will it be reliable. I know there is a lot of people who don't like electronics on their machines for certain reasons. But for safety reasons electronics are usually very good. Ie: stopping agravating actions. So because all the manufacturers don't want lawsuits electronics for these purposes might be increasing.

Replies21
  1. #1Speedpup2010-02-05 17:33

    Looks good if it works. Gradall had something like it years ago but they dumped it. Depending on the temp of hydraulic fluid / Viscosity it was not reliable. Few months ago I don't think they had very many sold. Seemed they were still testing.

  2. #2icestationzebra2010-02-06 00:36

    I believe that all telehandlers will switch to a vertical/horizontal type of control as opposed to the current hoist/extend. Sky Trak was working on it already in ~2001 but the valves weren't there yet. The question is really how long will it take everyone to adopt it. It greatly reduces the learning curve. You could even argue that it will reduce damage and accidents because the operator can better focus on the job - not what lever to grab. The current situation is made worse because there is no standardization of the control layouts. Between Lull and SkyTrak alone in the early 2000's it was ridiculous because every series of machines had a different control layout, something like 7 different versions. Add in the other manufacturers in the America's and EU and you are easily looking at dozens of different control layouts. On a slightly different note this shows that JLG want's the home team to be the high feature machine, Sky Trak the high value machine, and Lull the specialty machine. I would be surprised if they don't start to commonize the machines in the next couple of years. They could save a lot of money by eliminating several of the booms and cabs. Probably go with only Cummins engines and ZF drivetrains to get the best price break. ISZ

  3. #3barklee2010-02-06 13:08

    It would be about time! I really dont understand why they still build the skytrak machine. The JLG does the same thing and is better all around (my opinion)

  4. #4Speedpup2010-02-06 13:20

    Huge numbers of Sky Trac are sold. I really saw no advantage to them and even hate the look of them.

  5. #5Framer2010-02-06 20:40

    Skytrak is the cheapest maybe. From what I understand when I bought my machine JLG was similar in price to JCB and Manitou (the european built ones, not the american built ones). In Canadian dollars at the time I think it was for a 10 -54 - Skytrak 125, JLG 140, JCB 150, Manitou, 145, Genie/Terex 115. I don't know what kind of price you would get if you priced all these out now in Canadian Dollars. When I bought my machine the Canadian Dollar was low and used machines seemed expensive. I also used to get better money for my framing contracts. Wondering what new prices are like now (anybody)?

  6. #6Framer2010-02-06 20:43

    Cummins vs Deer? Is a cummins cheaper than a Deer? What would you're preference in engine be?

  7. #7Speedpup2010-02-07 01:29

    I think from what I heard prices are in the tank for used and new. I see some new machines in the upper 60's.

  8. #8Framer2010-02-07 09:48

    looking for new price on jlg, skytrak, jcb 10 -55 machines new

  9. #9barklee2010-02-07 10:09

    The skytrak $94,500 . The JLG $124,900. I dont know if those were really good prices they were on machinerytrader. Im not a big fan of anything JCB, i guess i always think of cheap when i think of that. I thought i saw you had a Manitou??? Thats the cadilac i would stay with one of those. Whats a Manitou going for new?

  10. #10Speedpup2010-02-07 11:43

    pmed you a dealer

  11. #11Framer2010-02-07 23:51

    Don't understand your question. Not a dealer. Might start bringing in used machines from the states, using them on my job site and then selling them for profit. One guy out here seems to be doing pretty good.

  12. #12Framer2010-02-08 00:05

    Must be talking about the archaic jcb. There are some jcb's with high boom mounts that are probably american made knockoffs or old designs. The low mount digging machines seem to be caddilac. Used to own a 550-140 awsome machine, and reliable. Paid 146 can in dec 06 for my manitou 1745 (10-54) with 12' jib. Awsome machine if you don't have problems. Safe, quiet and capable and really comfortable to run. The 4 speed hydrostatic tranny is the difference, and the weight meter that stops you from going over forward are the biggest difference that makes it one of the best machines going. Love the seat mounted joystick that does it all, just bounces up and down with the seat and not the chassis. With skytrak / jcb / geinie etc cab mounted separate controls I find my left arm reaching across my body to push more than one control at a time. The hydrostatic takes the gearing completely out of operators hand unless you have to road it, then you have to stop the machine to get it into high gear. Its not slow roading like some gradalls. Besides I don't like the machine moving to fast on site anyways, just a recipe for big problems (accidents, extra wear and tear on machine):bash

  13. #13barklee2010-02-08 19:55

    My gehl 1155 looks almost identical to yours. I wander how similar they are. If you get a chance can you post some pics of the controls and motor? Maybe where the boom mounts to the chassis? Thanks

  14. #14icestationzebra2010-02-08 23:27

    Cummins 3.3/3.9/4.5 Good - I've always had good luck with Cummins B series. I know for a fact in the 1998-2005 time frame the Cummins 3.9 was cheaper than a comparable hp Deere 4.5. Much more common, easier and cheaper to fix. Many parts common with the 5.9 in the Dodge trucks and CaseIH equipment. I have had some good experience with the 3.3 and have heard nothing but good things.​ Bad - The pull/hold fuel solenoid on the inline pumps fail frequently, but they are easy to fix. They also don't have a balance shaft, so they tend to be hard on exhaust systems and motor mounts. Some of the Tier II motors (approx 2003-08) can be cold blooded if the battery isn't up to snuff.​ Deere 4.5 I can't complain about the Deere, but I don't have nearly as much experience with them. The Deere comes with sleeves where the Cummins is parent metal bore - but this is only really important if you plan on keeping it long enough to get into a rebuild. I believe the Deere also has a balance shaft, so your exhaust system should last longer. The Deere's are also a little quieter. ISZ

  15. #15barklee2010-02-08 23:55

    We have two Lull 1044c's, one with the cummins and one with the deere. The deere has a more power. I dont know if its just me but it sure seems that way. We have had no trouble with the deere at 6000hrs, the cummins has 2400hrs and has had a little trouble...three or four starters, fuel pump, exhaust (i think) . Both are good motors but i favor the deere for the power and design...easy to get around on one easy to get service parts. Just my 3.14545675 cents

  16. #16Speedpup2010-02-09 05:44

    thanks

  17. #17Framer2010-02-10 20:32

    What about perkins? I've heard they are the same as cat but don't know the difference.

  18. #18icestationzebra2010-02-10 21:28

    "What about perkins? I've heard they are the same as cat but don't know the difference. " Cat bought Perkins at the end of 1997 to fill out the small end of their engine line. I haven't done much with Perkins, but Cat seems to have left them alone (except for the infusion of "Accert" technology ). The little CAT engines are Perkins wearing yellow paint. ISZ

  19. #19Speedpup2010-02-10 21:49

    Is that what CAT uses in the new JLG/Cat lifts? thanks!

  20. #20Framer2010-02-11 22:58

    How does perkins compare to cummins /deere? What do people think about, Isuszu, Mercedes, Deutz etc. I heard kenworth dropped cat because they were having so many problems with Cat engines with new emissions standards. I know I guy that switched to hitachi excavators over deere because they were so much better on fuel than deere. He said the guys liked the deere better because it sounded more powerful but no more work was actually getting done. I guy I go snowboarding with switched from Bombardier(Cummins) to Pisten Bully (mercedes) because of fuel economy. He says the mercedes are 20% faster and %20 more fuel efficient. Is this just a lag time? Because europeans seem to farther ahead with diesel technology than north americans. I guess the biggest downside could be cost to fix. It seems to me that mercedes might be the honda of diesel engines.

  21. #21Speedpup2010-02-11 23:32

    cost of fuel forces EU to stretch mileage I think.