I have a JLG 450A with a Ford Industrial Engine. When it's running, the battery light on the console is on and when running it from the basket, there is a warning light and an alarm on. I think the light is known as the "engine distress" light (not actually sure about that) I got that info on line and it says that it could be a problem in any number of the on board systems. I put a tester on the battery and it shows that the alternator isn't charging. Could this be the reason that that light and alarm are on? Do you know what alternator it takes? I looked it up on line and found one from a JLG dealer, but it didnt give any identifying numbers - and they wanted $750.00 for it. I gotta believe that I dont need to spend that kind of money for an alternator. Thanks for your help
There are a number of things that would cause engine distress light to come on, but an alternator not working is one for sure. Check that you have battery voltage at battery terminal of alternator. If you do, and it's not charging, take your alternator to a starter/alternator shop and have it rebuilt. Even if it's FUBAR, they most likely can provide you with a new one for far less than JLG.
Thanks! I was hoping you would reply. So it is the ebgine distress light? Glad to see my info was correct. I thought about having it rebuilt, but there is no local place to do it. I would have to send it out. I was thinking that a rebuilt from a parts supplier - NAPA etc. would be the way to go. I called them and they have no listings on this equipment. Do you happen to know the part number? There are no numbers on the body
Any idea what year (approx.) your 450A is?
A good partsman can find you one. Take it off, and take it into your local NAPA store. They should be able to tell just by looking at it what it is (who made it) and get you another one.
The tag says model year 2001
I agree with OFF, take the alternator to a NAPA or O'Reilly store and plop it on the counter. If the counter guys asks what it's off of, tell him what me and OFF typically say..."you don't want to know".