I got a genie s 60 that is smoking out of the exhaust. It has a deutz 1011 motor. Checked the compression and it was good replaced fuel filters, its not running hot. what would make it smoke like that? The smoke isnt really black, its more white/ grey in color Also, it sounds like its running fine except i noticed it lags a very little bit when you hit the petal to throttle up. thanks!
Not saying this is what it is, but I'm pretty sure the 1011 uses a timing belt, could be failed belt that has jumped and timing is now retarded. Don't ask me how to check this, I'd have to get info from my injection shop on how to, but I do know it's not a simple process.
I really hope not! I just had the belt replaced last summer and it only has about 100hrs since then. I will check it out though. I think the cover is two piece and you can check it from the bottom???? What about maybe a fuel line plugged a little bit? Or maybe a pinhole leak sucking air? Just trying to be optimistic!
Well, I'm not really sure about this one. If compression is good, one would typically suspect the injection pump, but on that engine each injector/cylinder has its own injection pump. Could be one, or two, of those unit pumps could be faulty, but I would think the engine would run a little rough, maybe not. I guess if were me, after confirming timing, I would go through the fuel supply system and make sure all things were in order, then I would pull the unit injection pumps and injectors and have an injection shop test them. Best I can come up with.
I had an injector leaking and replaced it with one that came off of a machine that burnt. The injector looked good and (i think) didnt get too hot. Maybe i am wrong though. I have several of those little "pumps" is there an easy way to test them short of going to a shop?
Never tested them myself, I always let my pump shop do that. You could do it in two steps though, remove the injectors and have them tested first. Problem could simply be one of those not atomizing fuel properly.
would a fuel restriction or pin hole cause smoking? what about bad fuel? My guy just told me he ran it pretty low on fuel... just a thought Also when you are adjusting a new controller how do you set the proportion when you are letting off the control? I replaced the swing board on this machine and i got the on set pretty good but when you let off the stick it stops abruptly.
Yes, it's possible, that's why I suggested going through the fuel supply system first and make sure all is in order. Doesn't take much money to replace a rubber fuel hose from tank to engine, probably due for it anyway. I'm assuming it's an OEM controller. Adjust the Ramp pot on the circuit board. Engage the swing fully at low engine rpm, then let go of the control lever. If it continues to swing (drift) for a long period, screw the Ramp adjustment screw CCW a couple turns. Try again, full swing then let go of lever. You want to have it adjusted to where it drifts just a little and not just come to an abrupt stop when you let go of lever.
thanks for the info, i will do this tomorrow
The Threshold trim pot adjusts at what position of the control lever off center begins to move the function. If the function moves at the very moment you move lever off center, or if you have to travel the lever a good distance to get function movement, you can adjust the threshold to get proper reaction of function. You want the function to react after you move lever a little off center, not immediately, and not too far off center.
Is that an oil cooled Duetz? If so your smoke most likely signals a leaking head gasket. If it is, the smoke will get worse and it will start throwing dropplets of oil out the exhaust along with the smoke. We change a lot of head gaskets on the JLG 60HA's with a similar engine. If you let it go too long, the engine will even start to run off the oil and you won't be able to shut it off
I believe thats an air cooled engine
I checked and it is a Duetz FL1011-3 in the JLG 60HA's. They use air flow to cool the oil, but the cylinders themselves are surounded and cooled by oil. When a head gasket goes, you get motor oil in your cylinder which the diesel is more than happy to burn......nice white/grey smoke like you described. Up here in the great white north the only option to warm those engines in the winter is an oil pan heater and that doesn't quite do it so ether is your friend. After a while you come to think of a head gasket as doing what a fuse does in an electrical system........when cylinder pressure gets too high it pops.
Hmm, hadn't considered that one OFF, good thought. Is there anyway to verify head gasket aside from rip it apart?
Nothing I can think of other than a compression test (which he's done already) or possibly taking off the exhaust manifold and comparing the individual exhaust ports looking for a "wet one". :beatsme I just monitor the machine for a while and if it keeps getting worse (smoking more) we tear the head off. Usually by the time the operator notices there's something wrong and calls - it's way obvious. I've got a manual for that engine if it comes down to it and you need torque specs & stuff.
could the air filter be plugged ?
If it is a head gasket, then just shine a flashlight to where the exausht manifold bolts the the head. You will see the oil soaking through the gasket. The redneck way to test the pumps and injectors: Remove side air cover, Remove injector hardlines, (use small slide hammer) Remove injectors, (remember to get the brass washers) Install hardlines upside down from injection pump and then screw on injectors. Now just have someone crank over the engine while you stand ten feet back and watch the spray pattern. If you see the one that is dripping, then swap it to another pump. ***I never said this was safe, but with common sense I've done it a hundred times. Bobby
on the bobcat 863 873 early s 250's adn early a300 they use deutz oil cooled engines. Head gaskets are a common problem on them replace 25 30 of them in the 3 years i worked for bobcat
Yup. Head gaskets are notorious for dropping off on the Duetz engine. Luckily no head or block damages. Just slide on a new gasket and your good to go. When you go to get the new gasket you will need to know the number of notches in the gasket. They will be on the exhaust side of the gasket. Usually a 1, 2 or 3 notch gasket. JJ
the notches tell the thickness of the head gasket if you are wondering. I never new what they were for until i asked one day.
I have one of these f3m1011 deutz engines in a 2001 JLG 400s and it smokes bad when it comes under load like it has a plugged air filter and it whistles out of the exhaust like it has a turbo on it. Could it just be valves or does it need a timing belt or what? All filters are new and it still does it. It also won't start up when it's hot. If I shut it off after running it for a while I have to wait 15 min before it will start again. Anyone ever seen this? Would like to get it fixed as it is getting really annoying.