Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG boneyard or salvager for obsolete parts

slceso ยท 2021-02-24 12:01

Hi All, I have a 1986 JLG 40HT. I am looking for a square solenoid for the vickers type prop valve block. The original square solenoids are obsolete, and the superseded parts are also obsolete. Looking for leads on a salvager in the US or some other JLG parts wizard who could advise. The Google magic is a big disappointment when trying to find these parts.

Replies4
  1. #1Midnightmoon2021-02-24 12:08

    Did you try removing it cleaning and bench test it? Sometimes you can get them working again

  2. #2slceso2021-02-24 13:00

    Got off the phone with JLG, and got some equivalent Vickers Part numbers: 689610 Solenoid Coil [7009315 (coil and frame, round) has been superseded by Item 7020361 (KIT, COIL 12V FLYING LEAD), OBSOLETE] 7009360 (Adaptor Kit, OBSOLETE) contained the following Vickers part numbers: 686035 core tube (JLG 7009316, available, $302) 680914 nut, retaining (JLG 7009317, OBSOLETE) 924070 adapter plate (OBSOLETE) 513771 pin (JLG 7009319, available, $15) So it looks like I am on to Eaton - Vickers.

  3. #3slceso2021-02-24 13:05

    Hi Moon, I did put it on the bench and cycled 3 or so times with 12V and it worked. I ended up swapping the coil on the boom lower prop valve and that proved it was something with the solenoid and not controls or hydraulics. I've got a troubleshooting thread here HeavyEquipmentForums I'm definitely open to any other suggestions. if I can even find all the parts I'm looking at $7-800 to replace the obsolete parts with more obsolete parts that might at lest be available. in the meantime, I am getting one of my kids to operate the emergency valves to let me down. Cheers!

  4. #4slceso2021-02-24 17:21

    just went and messed with it some more. ohmed at 6 ohms. put a meter on the coil lead and could read 13 VDC. put meter inline to measure amp draw and got no amps. reconnected, now it works. ghost in the machine I guess.