Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jlg experts

Knepptune ยท 2016-03-16 06:49

We've got a jlg 800s that has everyone stumped. It starts and runs. But if your using it for a awhile and you shut it off it sometimes won't restart. After running for 3-4 hours it will shut itself off. IT throws a low battery/system shut down code. If you let it sit for 20 min it starts up like nothing's wrong. It has a new throttle actuator, battery, battery cables. We took it to probably one of the biggest rental yards in this area and their service manager told me they had a 600s that did the same thing. He said they replaced the wiring harness, ecm, battery cables, and throttle actuator. He said they had the jlg factory guys out to look at along with the deutz factory guys. They never got it fixed and ended up dumping it at an auction. So what say you guys. Is there an easy fix for this. Or it doesn't have to be an easy fix if it's at least a fix.

Replies4
  1. #1thepumpguysc2016-03-16 20:28

    You DIDNT hear this from ME>> and don't ask me to explain it.. ITS the fuel rail.. ABSOLUTLY NO RYME OR REASON FOR IT.. and it aint cheap.. but fixed the problem.. AND you WONT get Deutz or JLG to own up to it.. BUT as you already know.. as I did.. they where standing there when it happened.. NO CODES other than battery voltage.. Craziest thing I've seen in YEARS.. what the H*** does a "fuel rail" have to do with battery voltage??

  2. #2Knepptune2016-03-16 21:58

    Well at this point we're about to dang near give away an expensive manlift because it's pretty much unusable. So what is the price and timeline to replace the fuel rail. Also what led you to that. In other words what led you from low voltage to "hey let's put a new fuel rail on it". Lol I'd say it'll be getting a new fuel rail shortly. If that doesn't fix it, it'll be a bargain for someone.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2016-03-17 19:34

    Your probably reading the display on the panel..?? We did too.. then we hooked a laptop up to it.. still said the same thing.. low battery voltage..??? ***?? It was OBVIOUSLY running out of fuel.. just by the way it shut down.. New fuel filter, new fuel filter head, new lines going to & from the rail.. new sensor.. new overflow valve.. still the same thing.. FINALLY the Duetz guy says.. WTH, lets try a fuel rail.. he overnited 1 and we installed it.. Cured the problem.. Come to find out>> there is a small defect/split in the SOB.. LIKE I SAID>> your NOT gonna get the MFG. to own up to it.. cuz both mfg. techs were standing there and pointing fingers.. and all parts and labor was free.. I'm not saying this IS DEFINATLY your problem.. I'm just telling you what I went thru and what ended up fixing it.. Good luck and I'm glad I'm not the only guy that went thru it.. BUT what bothers me MORE IS>> you had BOTH reps and a DEALER involved and the communication from MY PROBLEM, the same as yours.. went undocumented..!!! NOT GOOD I cant count how many times I've run into a re-accuring problem with a Bosch pump and fired off an email and a month later theres a service bulletin on the EXACT SAME senerio.. just goes to show you the feed back you get from mfg to mfg..

  4. #4Newfiedan2016-03-22 20:36

    Well insufficient fuel pressure or lack of fuel would cause it to not start but I would also be looking at the mechanical fuel pump on the unit to ensure its pumping fuel or a clogged fuel pickup tube as well. What colour is the smoke out of the exhaust when your cranking and it won't start? Black or no smoke indicates low fuel or no fuel getting to the injectors. White smoke is a little to much fuel. You can bypass the manual fuel pump and stick an electric in to test that theory. As for low voltage that can be caused by excessive cranking. You want a 1200 cold cranking amp battery for the deutz engine for smooth starting. Back blow the fuel line from the pump to the tank to clear the fuel pickup. If that does not help also check all engine and chassis ground wires and the connections at the solenoids on the rear of the engine. Last time I ran into this it was a corroded connection on those solenoids.