None of the platform controls work except for driving forward and back. I can start the engine. The horn works., that's it. All of the ground controls for the boom work.
The manual might help.. http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/551841/jlg-40ha-parts-manual.html
I have the manual, and have gone through the electrical schematics. I've got voltage everywhere I should, the breakers are good, the relays are good. I can drive forward and back, but can't steer right or left, from the platform controls. Everything works from the ground controls. Tilt light not on. I have the ford engine (gas/propane) Just spent all afternoon going over it again, still nothing.
Is the platform controls standard controls (toggle switches) for boom lift and swing, or does it have proportional controls for boom lift and swing?
I have toggle switches
have you looked at the system ground
Every place the schematics show me I should have a ground, I have a ground.
Have you verified that the toggle switches for boom functions is sending power to terminal #23 for the dump valve in the lower control box when you operate the switches?
That will be the first thing I do tomorrow. Thanks for your help. Happy St Patty's day.
I don't think you have a ground problem at the platform because the proportional drive control works and it shares the same ground as the bang bang functions. What makes the bang bang functions different than the proportional drive control is the dump valve circuit that has to be powered up to work the bang bang functions both from the platform and the lower controls. Now, we know that circuit works from the ground controls because all functions work, but I suspect it's not being powered up when working the platform controls. When you operate any of the boom function toggles, platform or ground controls, it has to send power to terminal 86 of R13 bang band dump valve relay.
I get no voltage on terminal # 23 when I activate a toggle switch on the platform.
Grab your diagram and go back to the platform. All the toggle switches for boom functions should have a Red/Org on one side of the double pole toggles. That Red/Org wire should connect to all the toggles and goes to terminal 23 on platform terminal strip. If you don't have power on 23 of the platform terminal switch when you step on the foot switch and activate a toggle, follow that Red/Org wire back and find out why.
Will do. Thanks.
I know you stated earlier that you "had power in all the places that you should", but just to be sure, all the toggles at the platform get power on a yellow wire from terminal 36 and 38 when you press the footswitch, the yellow wire connects to the center terminals on the toggles. Make sure that yellow wire circuit is getting powered up or none of the toggle functions are going to work.
On my scematic I see red orange connecting to Basket Level, though to Rotate, Main Telescope, then Steer. I don't see another red orange leaving that. I do have power on 34,35, 36, 37, 38, and 39. I see a yellow wire coming from 36 to 3 on Tower Lift. I don't see another yellow leaving Tower Lift. Another yellow connects 3 on Main Lift to 3 on Swing, though Aux Power, through Steer, though Main Telescope, though Rotate, though Basket Level, though Pump Volume, to 3 on Drive, which gets power on 38. Is my schematic correct? Closing a switch transfers power from the yellow circuit to the red orange, right? I don't see a red orange on Main Lift, Tower Lift, or Drive.
When i say I don't see the wires, I mean on my schematic. I'll be back on the lift in the am.
You're looking at a diagram for "Proportional Controls". Again I ask, is your machine proportional controls or standard controls? The difference, a proportional control machine will have PQ controllers for drive, main lift, swing, and tower lift, all other boom functions work via toggle switches. On a standard control machine only has a PQ controller for drive, all other boom functions work via toggle switches.
Sorry if I gave you the wrong information. I'm not familiar with the language. I do have toggle switches, but the drive is a a big joystick thing about 4 inches high that rocks forward and back for drive and reverse. I do have the schematics for standard or proportional.
Ok, if you only have one PQ controller for drive (the big joystick thing) and all other boom functions work via toggle switches then you have a "standard control" machine. Refer to the diagram for platform with standard controls.
The info I posted in post #14 applies to platform with standard controls.
Boom lift and swing are toggle switches, as are steering....everything toggle except for drive forward/reverse
I'm looking over the print for standard controls. It might help I brought the right schematic to the lift tomorrow......
Yes, JLG diagrams are already complicated enough for one to work with, and they become confusingly impossible if one makes the error of referring to the wrong diagrams.
I see red orange going though them all on this schematic. A diode on each side of Steer? Then orange yellow back to a terminal number I can't read. I'll read it off the lift. The yellow circuit is clear to me, looks like it connects to 2 terminals that are 30 something I can't read either. Probably something between 34 and 39.....Thanks. I understand how this works now and what to look for. Looks like it's not even going to cost much to fix. I'll check back with you tomorrow. I can't thank you enough. Thanks for your expertise and your patience.
Red/orange gets power all the way through the circuit, from Main Lift switch though Steer, when I activate a toggle. The diodes are good. Still not working from the platform when I hit a toggle switch. I have also tried a liberal application of all the special words.
Ok, red/org gets powered up when you activate toggles, that's good, that's what it's supposed to do. Now, is red/org sending that power to terminal 23 at the platform terminal strip? If it is, is power going though the terminal strip to power up the red/org wire from the 16/30 cable that's connected to the other side of the terminal strip? If all this is working, verify once again that terminal 23 at lower controls is still not getting power when you operate the toggles at platform. If that power isn't getting to 23 on the lower strip you have the red/org wire in the 16/30 cable is broken. If that's the case, and if your machine is wired proper, the red wire on terminal #2 and org/red on terminal #14 should be spare wires that you can use to fix the dump valve circuit.
Got there this morning and the SOB wouldn't even start. I was really losing it until I noticed it was out of gas. Fixed that. Then I found that bad wire red/orange wire. Swapped it out for the red/orange. STILL NOTHING. After picking up my tools from across the lot, I metered the red/orange and found IT was bad. Tested the Red, it was good. Connected everything together. Success! Everything works! I was going to throw a keg in the bucket and attach a hose, raise it high and drive it in today's St. Patrick's day parade, but friends talked me out of it. I can't thank you enough. I'm pretty sure I could fix the next broken wire after this excellent tutorial. If I ever get to Knoxville I'm going to PM you and buy you lunch. PM me if you ever head over Memphis way, I know a great BBQ place on the outside of town. Please email me if you ever have burglar or fire alarm problem. That's what I do. Thanks again.
Good to hear you got it sorted out. Now to read the tea leaves for you. It's not unusual for wires to eventually break inside the 16/30 and the 12/4 cables going up the boom. It typically happens where the cables go through the powertrak, the bending of the wires over time when telescoping in/out eventually weakens the wires and causes them to break. Your red/org is bad as well as the org/red, that's two wires that have failed and one of them didn't even have any function going through it. All this means is at some point you're going to have to replace the 16/30 cable, and I'd consider doing the 12/4 cable at the same time. If you break just one more function wire you have no spares left. When you do replace them, don't use typical SO or SJ cable, it won't last long. It needs to be a cable that's designed for bending cycles, something like a festoon cable. Perfectaflex is a good one, but expensive. Also, be sure and get a quote from JLG, their price is competitive on this cable (they purchase gazillions of feet of it to build machines) and the wire color codes will match your schematics.
Oh, BTW, now that I know you're using gasoline in that machine it's best to use 100% gasoline, it that's not available and you're using typical ethanol blend gas use some form of ethanol stabilizer in the gas. Ethanol causes problems in those Zenith carburetors, especially if they sit for a spell.