Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG lift replacement hydraulic hose specification – 100R16 vs 100R17

kman ยท 2023-05-02 21:53

I have a 600AJ that needs some (most all of them ) replaced. The one that I'm starting with first, when I inspect the hose markings, is a gates M3K-XTF (that's a SAE 100R17 spec hose with a tough cover on it that goes above and beyond the normal specification hose to resist abrasion and weathering). And from what pics I can see the markings for on the JLG online express site that sells replacement hoses, they are also M3K or I think even the higher level mega-tough cover that gates makes possibly. And for those I can see (not sure if like this for all of them) I have seen 100R17 markings. So, I could of course get a 100R17 spec hose or some other brand that has similar characteristics (SAE 100R17 and abrasion and weather resistance better outer cover), but while calling around locally, one custom build shop I got a quote from, would use an SAE 100R16 spec hose that is actually a double braid (where SAE 100R17 is single) and these still perform with a small min bending radius (which is basically the most important factor of these hoses on these lifts I think). So, the question is, any harm in using an SAE 100R16 hose instead of the 100R17? I found one online supplier that offers an 100R16 hose with a "smooth cover" that seems to be a step up vs. the standard spec, and I did plan on upping the quality that I select for my replacement so that I can continue with something having a longer wear life. However, I don't plan on this machine sitting outside like it did in its former life as a rental unit and I don't see how it would/could get that much abrasion honestly so it mainly seems like the need is sun exposure and ozone that the tough cover helps with. It just seems like a double braid that the R16 has is better than a single braid of the R17. But on the flip side maybe the biggest factor is the outer cover makeup being as durable and long-lasting and a hose leak due to only a single braid is not going to be as worrisome. Anyone with thoughts on these machines with regard to this? Thanks in advance.

Replies1
  1. #11693TA2023-05-02 22:07

    The short answer is not there is no problem using R-16 hose in place of R-17 hose. The basic differences in the hose is that R-17 hose is a 3000psi hose all across the line no matter the size. R-16 hose varies in pressure ratings dependent upon size. I use almost everything R-16 because of the 1/2 bend radius of R-2 hose which is less expensive, but stiffer.