Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Job radios

DPete ยท 2015-09-12 16:48

Anybody tried these on the job? We need some new and better radios, been using cheaper versions and having lots of trouble after a couple years. Thinking about trying them. http://wwww.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/30686-46053/Motorola-CLS1410-Series.html?cid=1708&chid=2

Replies5
  1. #1RonG2015-09-12 17:29

    I have been doing service work on communications equipment for many years and will say that the batwings (Motorola) seem to have it together with their product line.I was looking at the holster there and it looks like the same style as the Winston Cup sponsor,Sprint or something?They were telephones too,but their components seem to be pretty well made.Of course nothing you get today is built in the USA and the stuff I worked on over the years weighed 50 times what they weigh today. I have a few PRS units around and they work good up to a mile or so.I would not expect them to stand up to the construction environment though.I am using some T5420 Talkabouts now and I like them quite well around the house here. I have not had much trouble finding service literature on the older stuff I serviced and finding parts was not much of a problem,I think I still have some PL reeds for the old stuff. I know this is not much help but I prefer the Motorola over GE ect.Good luck.Ron G

  2. #2DPete2015-09-13 13:03

    Ordered a 6 pack, hope they are good. So valuable to have contact between machines in our work, they pay their way easily.

  3. #3Nige2015-09-13 13:41

    Another vote for Motorola. Not cheap but you get exactly what you pay for. We wouldn't use anything else TBH.

  4. #4Birken Vogt2015-09-16 11:52

    Kenwood radios as good or better than Motorola generally speaking. There are always variables. They usually cost a lot less. Mother Motorola seems to look like they are cashing in on their name at this point, there have been several ownership changes and they are up for sale again. Try to find a brick and mortar dealer to discuss what you want. There are different tiers of radios more or less suited to the construction environment. Source: a good friend owns a radio shop and I help him out a lot.

  5. #5lantraxco2015-09-16 12:49

    Anybody try these: http://www.eartec.com/ I've seen the ads in a couple industry mags, wondered if they were any good. With my bad hearing I wear headphones to talk on the phone, cuts out all the outside noise.