Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deer 310 D – hydraulic fluid leak right side

robfxrs ยท 2022-05-26 20:30

Hello, gotta ask, I am looking to buy a j.d 310 d great price, not bad condition, every operates that I can tell EXCEPT looks like hydraulic fluid , constant steady stream on right side.best I can summize, is it is on right side up towards the top of trans, below brake pedals it is within the red circle. in pic I have worked on cars, motorcycles and pickups, but never a backhoe. I have 0% knowledge on a backhoe. was hoping one of you, might have idea on possible cause/remedy an that determines if I purchase it. I would really appreciate any input, or knowledge on this. Thank you

Replies9
  1. #1RES2022-05-27 06:34

    I know nothing about JD. So take this for what it's costing you. Check the oil level in the trans to be sure no water got in from sitting outside. If it did it could be displacing oil and forcing it out.

  2. #2Delmer2022-05-27 08:54

    I don't know what it's called, but that's obviously a cover, not a vent, so it should have a gasket and not leak. First, see if any of those bolts are loose, torque them if they are loose. If not loose, clean the area, then remove the cover and replace the gasket. For future reference, you may have a straight 310, if the serial number starts 310D that could stand for Dubuque. Post a pic of the tractor, or the serial number plate with any specific question.

  3. #3robfxrs2022-05-27 21:45

    here is pic of plate thank you, did not think of pic with plate info

  4. #4mg23612022-05-28 05:53

    It is a straight 310. Easy repair. Hard part is getting there.

  5. #5robfxrs2022-05-31 17:56

    pardon my question again but is the fluid in what ever case that is suppose to be that high?

  6. #6mg23612022-06-01 05:22

    No, the level is not that high. If I recall correctly, the oil is from the normal leakage internal to the steering valve, which fills that little compartment for lubrication. There is a hole internally that then allows that oil to drain to sump.

  7. #7robfxrs2022-06-11 16:11

    I wish to thank everyone that read my post. And a especially a big, thank you to those that replied. well, I bought the unit, and tore into it. you were right on the target. thats where the leak is/was And that door, part 21467t cover, is big time cracked. so ordered the parts... then see if leak fixed

  8. #8Finca SDR2022-06-12 16:16

    That's a good machine

  9. #9robfxrs2023-06-16 18:41

    that cover was the leak, had a crack in it again thank you