Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

john deer 450b clutch adjustment grinding gears

chris allen ยท 2016-02-12 19:21

pulls great, just grinds gears while shifting to 3rd an 4th, tried adjusting the clutch pedal, removed rubber plug outta top of trains an noticed the throw out bearing don't make contact with the pressure plate while pedal pressed down, so I adjusted the clutch pedal linkage till the throw out bearing made contact with pressure plate, but when tried to move tractor it wouldn't pull off at all, so I started backing adjustment bolt back off till it started to drive, but then it went back to gear grinding while shifting, kept playing with it an got it close but still no happy bout it, saw another adjustment bolt in top of trains cover but scared to play with it.

Replies6
  1. #1Don k2016-02-13 13:12

    I do not know if a B is the same as a C. On 450C there is supposed to be 3.75" of free travel on the clutch pedal before it contacts the pressure plate.I can give you the complete adjustment procedure if the B's and C's are the same. You will need a pressure gauge if you do the whole procedure.

  2. #2lantraxco2016-02-13 15:53

    Are there not two clutch systems in the 450's? The mechanical clutch is essentially for unloading the engine for starting? The reverser is hydraulic and the first part of the clutch pedal travel actuates a valve that dumps the oil pressure that engages the forward or reverse clutches I think?

  3. #3Don k2016-02-13 16:14

    Yes there are two systems. The mechanical clutch is used to change gears. 4 fwd and one neutral and reverse. the the other clutches are hyd. They are used to shift the high-low- neutral- reverse clutches. There is a safety switch in the linkage to the H-L-N-R clutches that only allow you to start it in neutral.

  4. #4Don k2016-02-13 18:00

    I had my head up my rear as Nige says. The mechanical clutch changes the gears. There are 4 gears and a neutral or speeds. Not a reverse. The hyd. clutches have a high-low- neutral and reverse. The first 3.75" of foot clutch travel will dump the hyd. clutches. The rest of the travel is so you can change the 4 speed transmission. Am I digging myself a deeper hole? What is bad is that I own a 450C.

  5. #5lantraxco2016-02-13 20:04

    It's all ancient history to me, lol... point is there should be two adjustments to get the mechanical clutch set correctly along with the reverser clutches?

  6. #6djordje12016-02-14 02:12

    http://www.justanswer.com/heavy-equipment/1wgbb-hi-i-ve-jd-450-dozer-day.html