Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

komatsu D41E-s 1991 dozer

montman · 2016-02-12 11:32

Hi any one with any info on a komatsu D41E-3 1991 dozer good or bad.What are they like going to look at one with 9000 hours on it,PAT blade and rippers. Looking to buy another dozer looked at a few already just leaving my options open at the moment.

Replies13
  1. #1RonG2016-02-12 11:54

    I ran one for a few years and I liked it.It never gave us any trouble,I am pretty sure that the engine was Cummins based,actually I heard that Cummins parts would fit it.I was heavy enough to do good work.Ron G

  2. #2Twisted2016-02-12 12:12

    I just purchased one yesterday. D41P-6E 1998 model. I'm not sure what changes were made between the -3 and -6. I couldn't find any issues with them during my research. I got many comments about them being a good solid dozer. Only complaint I heard was something about speeds between 1st and 2nd being too large of a jump. I'll have more information after it gets delivered and I have some seat time.

  3. #3RonG2016-02-12 13:16

    They don't have a torque converter,they are direct drive so if you stop in gear you have to declutch it.I did not notice any problem with gear ratios.You can pull it in gear without using the clutch or shift speeds or direction but if you stop with it in gear it will stall the engine.Ron G

  4. #4oldwhiteman2020-09-05 08:47

    I know this is an old post but I felt I must set the record straight. The d41e-6. Does indeed have a torque converter. All one must do is Google it, but we have one and it does not die when you stop it. No clutching necessary. My 83 yr old father loves it.

  5. #5southernman132020-09-06 10:37

    We have a 41P-6. It will stall if u don’t declutch it. Don’t know about a torque converter. It’s a solid machine. Been very good for us

  6. #6oldwhiteman2020-09-07 09:14

    Hmm, maybe its the E in the model#. We don't hardly ever touch the pedals on ours.

  7. #7southernman132020-09-08 05:39

    I’m saying if u stay in it it will stall, u can reverse out and it won’t stall. The e just means it’s a long frame narrow track machine. Ours is a lgp wide track.

  8. #8oldwhiteman2020-09-08 10:55

    Interesting, we don't mash no pedals on ours. You either going forward or backwards. We haven't had ours long though, and i really need an owners manual for it. Want to know correct fluids that the manufacturer calls for.

  9. #9oldwhiteman2020-09-09 16:40

    I know our is hydrostatic drive. You might have an earlier model. Ours is a 1998 model.

  10. #10southernman132020-09-09 19:00

    Ours is a 2006

  11. #11oldwhiteman2020-09-15 23:58

    So I looked in our new factory komatsu owners manual for our machine and indeed it says the pedals are as follows Inching pedal Brake pedal deceleration pedal No clutching necessary. There is no clutch to push. We start ours up in first gear. it dont move till you push the joystick forward. Sounds like you have something stuck, or we have something stuck ha,ha. As far as I know its hydrostatic drive, like a lawn mower. As far as the year, that is what the guy told us it was. Ours looks like yours except our rops goes over the hood. Never had it shut down/stall but dad mainly runs it, and he is 83 so he is pretty easy on it. Love that it has a cummins 5.9 in it. Ours has 4900 hrs on it.

  12. #12southernman132020-09-16 02:40

    That’s same as ours. Inching pedal is basically a clutch. I guarantee you put it against a big tree and let it eat and it will stall if u don’t reverse out or push the inching pedal or it pushes the tree over lol.

  13. #13oldwhiteman2020-09-19 00:59

    10-4 on that. We actually have the belly pans off on ours now. See that big damper on it now. So motor/dampner/driveshaft to the transmission.