Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

john deer 500c backhoe actuator plugged

leroyhoeboy ยท 2024-12-01 23:15

!if the actuator is plugged will the hydraulics on the backhoe and front end loader still work but have no power? the transmission works fine all of the gears work, it just has no power, there was sludge in the hyudraulic filter on the back hoe loader side the transmission side was clean. im thinking the actuator is plugged now? does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? has this ever happened to anyone else? please let me know and any information you know about actuator's would be greatly appreciated, thank you! -Rory Hammond

Replies10
  1. #1Welder Dave2024-12-02 03:35

    What do you mean by actuator?

  2. #2leroyhoeboy2024-12-02 14:44

    the hydraulic fluid leaves the pump runs through the actuator thats on the main line (pipe) then to the backhoe steering Priority valve and front end loader then hits the filters before returning into the reservoir and back to the pump the actuator is in this case a kind of cyl mounted on the mainline pipe looking like an upside down filter suposta increase pressure before entering the transmission and the rest of the machine what I'm looking to find out is if its clogged could the hinder the over all power of the machine?

  3. #3Welder Dave2024-12-02 16:19

    Hopefully somebody with more JD experience will chime in.

  4. #4Toolslinger2024-12-03 05:51

    Leroy, Are you talking about an accumulator? That's the only thing I can think of sort of in the position in the hydraulic circuit you mentioned. If so, that's just a pressurized tank essentially that smooths out the hydraulic pressure. Can't really clog, but I suppose it might have lost internal pressure, and cause some odd behavior.

  5. #5Tinkerer2024-12-03 08:35

    Welcome to HEF, Rory ! Is this it ? I suppose #16 could cause problems. Just a guess because I know very little about John Deere's.

  6. #6leroyhoeboy2024-12-03 14:22

    heres what happened, I was working out in the street when a main line coming out of the pump popped a hole in it I went and had a hose made and in switching them out the fitting that it connected to was a 90' started leaking heavy so I had a fitting that was the same only didnt have a 90' just short and straight only problem I couldnt get it into the same port being I was running out of time I moved it to another port on the top of the pump in the front well it worked ok I was able to get it moved a few days later my boss slid off the road and went over the side in his track loader I used the 500c to pull him back up and parked it the next time I fired it up extremely week it will lift its self but nothing else all the machine functions just barley except the trany it seems to work fine so I pulled the filters and the oner that filters the loader steering, and backhoe was filled with a silicone type of crap no metal nothing no flake just that crap I replaced the filters checked the screen which was clean drained the oil filled with good tractor oil and no change I also put the hose back to its original port? any ideas

  7. #7leroyhoeboy2024-12-03 14:28

    Theres also a type of valve unit on the side of the trany that the oil has to travel through to get back to the external pump I read that the trany pump has to get to a certain pressure to activate the big pump the machine will lift the bucket but when it gets to the end and I hold it on it doesnt bog down the engine if that helps

  8. #8Welder Dave2024-12-03 18:23

    You have to put replacement hoses back on the same ports they came off. Some pics. of what you're talking about would help greatly. I think your backhoe has closed center hydraulics which are more complicated than open center hydraulics and might use a charge pump. It would be nice if someone more familiar with JD hoes chimed in. Your posts are a little confusing to understand.

  9. #9leroyhoeboy2024-12-03 19:33

    its a 1978 500c so its 46 years old it has a raidal pump you adjust the pressure on the bottom it has ports and valves all the way around oil comes out the right side and back in on the left side it was kind of an emergency so I had no choice but to put the hose where I did it was only to get it out of the street so do you think the pump was harmed doiong that It wasnt making any noise and there isnt any metal in the oil

  10. #10Welder Dave2024-12-03 21:49

    I don't know but must be closed center with a radial pump. Perhaps someone like MG2361 would have a better idea of what could be wrong?