Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 110 TLB losing power/stalling

vortechys · 2010-05-12 14:06

Has anyone out there had problems with the engine stopping, (sounds like fuel supply is being cut off). Problem comes after the tractor has warmed up for 20 -30 minutes of operation. I have changed the fuel filter and it runs good for a few hrs. then I get the problem returning. If I let the tractor stall, it will restart no problem, after the stall. Any ideas?

Replies11
  1. #1hvy 1ton2010-05-12 19:23

    I'd check the lift pump and the pickup in the fuel tank. Another thought, i had the fuel shut off solenoid go bad on my F935 mower, the 110 uses a similar yanmar motor so that would be another thing to look at. Intermittent problems are often electrical problems so check for bad connections, chaffed wires and then look a the electric components-lift pump, solenoid, etc. Does it sound like it 's running out of fuel or like you turned it off? If its the former check the solenoid and ignition harness, something is either failing in the solenoid or it is being disengaged by a short somewhere. I had a enigne that would turn off every time you hit the brakes.:bash The brake light wire and some wire in the injection harness had chaffed and the computer would turn off every time you hit the brakes. In the end I was happy the voltage spikes didn't murder the computer

  2. #2vortechys2010-05-12 19:58

    Thanks for the response. What is the best way to check the lift pump? The tractor seems like it is not getting enough fuel( ie. power way down) . If I rev it a few times , it will eventually run good again. Really seems like more of a fuel delivery problem than electrical. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part, because I hate electrical.

  3. #3Dirtluver772023-06-12 19:38

    Vortechys - did you ever find the problem? I have a 110 backhoe that is having the same issue. I don’t ill have it cut off 100 times while working. I have changed the fuel solenoid and the fuel pump. I also drained the injector pump solenoid (I think that’s the right name). It’s still cutting off. I can say one thing…it’s consistent with the cutting off. Lol.

  4. #4mg23612023-06-13 05:01

    Welcome to HEF Dirtluver77 ! I doubt you will get an answer since this post is from 2010. When it quits, does it quit slowly or quits like you turn the key off? Does the book in the dash flash out any codes? Has the fuel tank vent been checked? Fuel lines replaced? Fuel tank clean?

  5. #5NH575E2023-06-13 21:03

    I wish people would follow up with what fixed their issues even if they didn't find the answer where they asked. It would sure help others when they find a thread in search of problems. What did the filter look like when you changed it? If it was clogged you probably have gunk in the tank restricting the fittings. Start by opening the drain valve under the supply lines and see if fuel comes out. My JD 4310 has a similar fuel setup. My tractor was clogged with algae from the previous owner. I had to siphon the fuel out and suck all the crud out with a shop vac. Took forever to get the smell out of my shop vac though. Since then I made a vacuum reservoir out of a 5 gallon bucket for operations like that. I put a small engine filter inline on all my diesels now for an early warning.

  6. #6Bill H1232023-08-15 16:19

    I have the same issue on my 2005 110 TLB with the engine shutting down. It was happening every now and then but now it’s happening much more frequently. It starts right up after I bump the starter twice and it starts on the third time every time. I have cleaned the fuel strainer and changed the fuel filter neither seemed very dirty. But that hasn’t made a difference.

  7. #7mg23612023-08-16 05:00

    Welcome to HEF Bill ! How about a complete machine serial number? That is always needed in the equipment world for accurate information retrieval. Does your machine shut off like you turned the key off? If so, I'm betting your issue is your fuel timer solenoid module. It is located in the fuse box.

  8. #8Bill H1232023-09-04 16:26

    Thanks for the input I will change that solenoid and hopefully that will solve the problem My is Serial #LVO110T411346 I think it’s a 2005 machine

  9. #9Bill H1232023-10-13 12:18

    Hi I replaced the fuel filter & now the fuel solenoid but I still have the problem. It seems as if the engine is is shutting down more frequently every 5 or 10 minutes of operation. It doesn’t seem to be related to the load on the engine it sometimes dies while idling.

  10. #10Long02023-10-14 10:00

    It might be worth your time to check what the JD Ag guys call a thermistor. I had a similar issue with my JD 4300. Engines should be similar. It's the square yellow resistor in the attached. My understanding is it provides power to the fuel shutoff solenoid.

  11. #11Remodeler442024-11-12 13:41

    I just recently had a rash of fuel solenoids being burnt up from the constant side of the coil staying on (12V side) it had to do with the two relay's that control the fuel system. I replaced both K3 - Fuel shutoff solenoid Pull in Relay and K6- Fuel Shutoff solenoid timer. The issue has been resolved on my machine. (2005 John Deere 110 TLB). I know this is a very late post but hopefully it can help others along the way. Great forum to be a part of lots of knowledge here.