Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking at new holland 555e

groundloop ยท 2010-05-12 15:51

Hi All I am new to full size backhoes(I have ran a small 20hp farm tracktor w/ a hoe for a couple years) I am looking at my 1st full size backhoe. It is a 97 newholland 555e 2wheel drive it has 4500 hour one of the loader bucket tilt cyclinders leak.my question is do these hoes have any problem areas? How good do 2wheel drive backhoes go?mud?snow? Any idea what something like this is worth? Thanks Chris

Replies10
  1. #1JasonDunn2010-05-15 08:41

    I just paid 15k for one in what I consider very good condition 1400 hrs 98 model

  2. #2diggerdave19582010-05-15 20:35

    Hi, groundloop. I have only had 2 Ford backhoes over the years a 4500 and later a 655A the 4500 was 2 wheel drive and the 655A was 4x4 now i have a Case 580SE 4x4 and i would not own a backhoe now without 4x4 it makes a very good loader and it can get you out of a lot of places that a 2x4 would never even think about getting into. but there is a place in the market today for the 2x4 and if the price is right i would look at one, they are good on hard/dry ground i guess it will depend on what you want to do with the machine ???

  3. #3mitch5042010-05-16 13:26

    I have a 2wd ford and a 4wd Case and have run lots of both kinds over the years. The 2wd works ok. For hoe work it doesn't make much difference cause if it is a BAD PLACE none of your wheels will be on the ground anyway. For loader work 4x4 is far and away better in soft ground. A 2wd fullsize will be incredible after a 20 horse w/ attachments. I guess the short form is: the 2wd is good but the 4wd is better. P.S. I am from the SC swamps: I am a mud expert but when it snows every 2 or 3 yrs. I stay in bed.

  4. #4lagood622010-05-22 07:55

    i have 1967 ford 4500 with wain-roy hoe got for 3000 and have done many times that amount of work. the problem is finding info on the hoe, any help would be excellent

  5. #5mitch5042010-05-22 10:38

    Post somewhere one more time and then you will be able to start your own thread. If you do many more people will see your question. In your thread post some pictures of the hoe and I may be able to help you. I know a man who has a 4500 with an odd hoe I bet he has books but I'd have to see yours to compare.

  6. #671202010-05-23 11:45

    I just purchased a 99 555E with 3300 hrs on it 4x4, 4-1 bucket , good paint and clean. I paid $19,500 for it. The hoe is great very strong and the loader is tough also. The only thing I saw was it lacks some power during road transport. This seems to be a good one for what we do (field tile, ditching, and fencerow removal). Be sure you have a strong dealership nearby, used equipment purchases can be risky. good luck!

  7. #7lagood622010-05-23 19:37

    wain roy hoe how do i find out what model my old 1960 something backhoe is?

  8. #8drifter590sl2010-05-26 00:22

    case now ownes new holland...the new ones

  9. #9jrpumper2010-10-17 21:22

    555e I bought a 55e new holland 4x4 with a 4in 1 bucket with 3600 hours for $10,500 and the reason i got such a good deal it needed tires and some cylinders repacked , it toook me awhile but i got all the bugs worked out , This is my first full size backhoe and i am very impressed , the only thing that i could complain about would be it's weight the damn thng is heavy

  10. #10Phil2010-10-18 07:04

    Many hoes of that age are 4x4. Resale value some day might be lower than you think. While 2 wheel drive might be fine for what you need, the value of it is in the hands of the flock that looks at all the other available machines out there. Phil