Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John deere 120 temperature gauge

BryanJ ยท 2023-10-15 16:11

Would like help fixing temperature gauge. Have changed sensor, wire is good, can ground wire to motor and gauge pegs out. Checked resistors on circuit board and they are good. Wondering if maybe I just got a bad sensor. Any help appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1skyking12023-10-15 19:06

    sounds likely, I bet that sensor has a spec you can test for resistance/temperature. Take a picture of the sensor and location for me. My 120 is at a job distant and waiting on permits. but if i remember I can do a comparison.

  2. #2BryanJ2023-10-15 19:47

    Appreciate it, I'm going to stop by my john deere dealer tomorrow afternoon and ask them to check it. Got it from them, so they should be able to tell me if it's good.

  3. #3mg23612023-10-16 05:02

    Which sender did you replace? The one on the top, rear of the head, or the one in the thermostat housing? Both will peg the gauge when grounded, but the one in the thermostat housing is the one that controls the gauge. The one in the head is an overheat switch, and when that detects an overheat, it will signal the controller to peg the gauge.

  4. #4BryanJ2023-10-16 06:06

    I have replaced both. Just bought machine last year. He had stuck a manual one on it. Both sensors had the wire ends broke off them.

  5. #5BryanJ2023-10-16 06:10

    The one in the thermostat housing is the one that I am messing with. I don't know what else it would be other than a bad sensor. If you can ground it out and gauge moves I would think everything from wire end to gauge would be good

  6. #6mg23612023-10-16 12:00

    Could be a bad sensor out of the box. You could acquire a rheostat to put in place of the sender just to verify the gauge will read at different resistances.