Good afternoon I have a 2013 John Deere 180g SN1FF180GXVCD020165 I have two issues one of which is real thick paste like oil after 90 hours in the machine, the oil level has not seemed to change since I bought the machine (10,000 hours ) and it now has 10090 hrs. They stated they had all oils and filters changed at 10,000 hours It may be hard to tell in the photo but it is very thick The second issue is I have a coolant leak, but more so I find when the machine is turned off sitting it will leak a fair bit. Not sure where it is going? But the oil doesn’t seem to be changing to any milky colours or such. Don’t seem to see any coolant coming from under the machine. Also don’t really have any smoke coming from the exhaust when running. A little bit here or there but nothing I would be concerned about more at initial startup
That engine oil sludge is created by coolant. The vent hose coming off the valve cover will be plugged with that sludge as well. In the morning before start up, slowly loosen the engine oil drain plug and catch a cup of what initially drains out. I am sure you will find coolant.
Okay and you seem to know a bit about these machines I didn’t see a rad cap on this particular machine?
It has a surge tank. If you look it up on John Deere parts it'll show you a picture of it.
YIKES!!
lol tell me about it, seems like I’ll be in for a big fix
You don't always get milky oil with coolant contamination. Besides coolant entry into the oil, an engine running too cold could cause sludge as well. Does it reach operating temperature? Low quality engine oil? Excessive idle time? I agree with Dave. I bet you will find some coolant coming out of the drain plug. With 10,000+ hrs, my money would be on liner pitting from cavitation.
The engine oil quality is the only thing I really can’t answer for as I only purchased it 90 hours ago, It gets up to temperature fine and seems to run perfectly fine we’ve even had 40+ degree weather the last couple weeks and it would run 9 hours no issues not even coming close to the red. And for idle time it really hasn’t idled any longer then it normal, basically only ran while I was in the seat. I just find it wierd other then cleaning off a bit of sludge from the dipstick which has only gotten worse recently, the oil level seems to have stayed the same at the perfect level
On a 740 haul truck, the coolant was turning into steam and contaminating the oil making it thick like this but not increasing the oil level or lowering the coolant any significant amount.
I’m not in it today I have someone else running it but from what I’ve heard it was blowing coolant out the reservoir this morning, I asked if the cap was on tight cause I havnt had that happen yet but they said it was… anyway have a mechanic coming out first thing tomorrow to try and diagnose it, he said possibly a bad oil cooler…. Either way, it will be a expensive week for me
The 740 was a failed oil cooler but we also did the head at the same time due to the hours on the engine.
Is there oil in the coolant?