Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 190E / 4039DT Engine

Loelup41 · 2026-07-08 06:17

Hello everyone, I have a John Deere 190E, with a 4039DT009 for the engine. Unfortunately, the engine through a rod through the block. I have found some 4039DT’s for sale, but they are around 8-9K. On the other hand, I have found a few 4039DF’s for sale out of air compressors that are a lot more reasonably priced. I have called John Deere, and I have not received a straight answer. Any chance that anyone has swapped out a 4039DT for a 4039DF? I know the internal components will be different, but is this a possibility to save a home owner some coin? Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!

Replies6
  1. #1Diesel Dave2026-07-08 10:43

    Welcome to HEF Loelup41 . 4039DT009 and 4039DF have the same cylinder block, crank, pistons ,liners, cylinder head . You will likely have to swap over the fuel injection pump and injectors to maintain the same horsepower and performance. Also possibly swap over flywheel housing (need rear seal), thermostat hsg …etc.. Do you have serial #’s for any of the donor compressor engines ?

  2. #2Loelup412026-07-08 10:50

    Thanks a ton for replying. I really appreciate your insight. The serial number of the engine (4039DT) that was pulled was T04039D573419. I have found the following 4039DF for sale: -CD4039D209314 -T04039D305870 Thanks!

  3. #3Diesel Dave2026-07-08 16:03

    Let me correct that blanket statement re: the cylinder blocks are the same. The 4039DT009 has balance shafts, not all 4039DF have balance shafts. I ran the build codes on the two donor compressor engine serial numbers you quoted and both engines do not have balance shafts. A quick google search on the subject found that engine producers do not always include balance shafts (depending on application) in part to keep the cost down to the OEM in this case the compressor manufacturer. That said, a compressor engine may vibrate more than the original.

  4. #4Loelup412026-07-08 16:20

    Diesel Dave, you’re killing it! Thanks for the information. I want to make sure that I understand this correctly. Both of the donor compressors will work, however, due to not having the balance shafts, they may vibrate more? If that’s the case, would that deter you from saving some coin and going with a compressor engine? Thanks a ton!

  5. #5Diesel Dave2026-07-08 16:41

    The engine mounts on the excavator are real,so will help with vibration. I would avoid the CD4039D209314 engine as the serial # is less than 300000 so it may have a “short nose“ crankshaft (the build code for the crank is not listed). As I thought, you will need to transfer over the oil pan ,flywheel housing and flywheel. Also swap over the fuel injection system as the 190E is 24 volts (the compressor is 12volts, I did not check on the compressor engine HP ). Im sure there are other items to swap over but should be no big deal.

  6. #6Loelup412026-07-08 17:44

    Awesome, thanks for your time!