Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 200LC won’t crank

Dlunamand · 2019-09-11 12:19

I have a problem with a 200LC John Deere I need help with. It won’t crank and when you turn the key off after trying to crank it the battery relay stays energized. I have determined the alt shut down relay and starter protection relay are staying energized thru a ground signal coming from the monitor. I have more information if anyone can help

Replies16
  1. #1Former Wrench2019-09-11 12:57

    See if you can find somewhere to bar the engine over. Crankshaft, Flywheel, whatever is easily to reach. It is important to rule out a seized engine.

  2. #202Dmax2019-09-11 13:32

    Does it click or anything when you try to start it? I've had to replace a bunch of those main relays on those exact machines.

  3. #3Dlunamand2019-09-11 14:35

    It will crank if I unhook the alternator excitation resistor. I am getting battery voltage to the monitor pin 42 when the key is turned on.

  4. #402Dmax2019-09-11 14:43

    I'd say replace the alternator. Had a JCB do that exact thing to me once.

  5. #5Dlunamand2019-09-11 14:48

    It’s getting voltage back to the monitor but it’s not coming from the alternator.

  6. #602Dmax2019-09-11 15:00

    Right, but it's getting a signal from the alternator that's telling it not to start.

  7. #7Dlunamand2019-09-11 15:18

    No I unhooked the D+ wire that would send the signal when the machine is running

  8. #8Dlunamand2019-09-11 15:19
  9. #9mg23612019-09-12 05:22

    Remove the D+ wire from the alt and ground it and see if it starts. The monitor needs to see a ground from that wire or it won't crank.

  10. #10Dlunamand2019-09-13 11:08

    That was it !! I used a test light to check the D+ and it cranked. Thanks for the help

  11. #11rmllarue912023-08-18 22:49

    Did you ever get it sorted out? Grounding the wire will make it start but battery light will be on.

  12. #12rmllarue912023-08-18 22:49
  13. #13rmllarue912023-08-18 22:52

    It seems like with key on engine off should be getting like 8-14 volts on d+ not 20+ volts could this just be the resistor out of spec?

  14. #14Dlunamand2023-08-19 11:32

    It gets a ground signal from the alt thru the D+ wire. When the machine cranks the D+ give system voltage and the light goes out

  15. #15rmllarue912023-08-19 13:17

    I hope that's it I just have issue believing that a bad alternator can cause a no crank. but maybe it was a design flaw because the c model it's separate the excite circuit from charging light indicator. New alternator shows a separate resistor that goes from b+ to d+ making it self excite. Going to see if dealer has any paperwork with updated alternator

  16. #16mg23612023-08-20 06:32

    That alternator should have come with paperwork. What part number alternator did you get? @Diesel Dave might be able to help with this. Add the serial number of your machine as well.