Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John deere 2010

Moonlite ยท 2014-11-10 21:39

Replacing starter on this 2010 diesel. Ser is 64444. The original starter is a prestolite. It has the solenoid inside the nose housing. Parts are no longer available. So i got a delco that is suppose to be a direct replacement. My problem is the ringgear rides all the way down in the V on the drive causing the starter to bind. There is no way to shim it out cause the starter is a flange mount. This is the only starter listed for a 2010. I compared it to one from john deere but there is no difference that i can find. I did check the ring gear it looks good. Anybody run into this before?

Replies6
  1. #1Shoepeg2014-11-10 21:51

    Go to tractorbynet.com, they have a tractor part thread or go to the John Deere section, good bunch of fellows.

  2. #2Deeretracks2014-11-11 11:52

    You should have a Prestolite MFX-8001A JD# AT17515T. It sounds like they gave you the wrong delco replacement. You probably got a 9 or 11 tooth instead of a 10 tooth drive. The Delco replacement should be a 160-340. Or you can still get a Wilson# 91061862 that has the solenoid like the Prestolite but they are spendy. There is also a 160-340 listed as a Prestolite replacement. Good luck.

  3. #3Tinkerer2014-11-12 07:28

    That is a very important piece of advice. Be absolutely certain the replacement drive is an exact match to the original. Real bad things happen to ring-gears and starter shafts when a drive gear that is one tooth off is mistakenly installed.

  4. #4Moonlite2014-11-12 13:51

    The aftermarket delco is 10 tooth like the prestolite that i pulled off. Ended up going to deere and getting a starter. Problem solved. Cant tell by looking that there was a difference. But the one from deere worked. Now i have a delco i cant use. Oh well the customer is happy.

  5. #5icestationzebra2014-11-14 00:06

    I had that happen once. I installed an engine that I didn't know the history of and the starter didn't work so I got another one. The starter engaged but didn't turn the engine over. Nor could I turn it over with a barring tool so I thought it was seized. Unfortunately I had the engine 75% removed before I got to taking the starter out and heard the pinion pull back in.....felt like an idiot. Turns out the bendix had engaged and drove the pinion into the ring gear, but the mismatch in teeth cause it to stay jammed in the ring gear. :Banghead ISZ

  6. #6fixou8122016-06-25 17:05

    I was called to look at a 1962 JD 2010 this week. It had been resting for a Long while. The cap, rotor and points were all toast (apparently that's why it was broke down ) Come to find out JD put 3 different distributors in it. Delco, Prestolite and Wico (a magnito manufacturer ) who made distributors. I don't think many of these came with Wico distributors because NAPA or anyone else carries the cap and rotor ( NAPA never did) I believe the lack of parts was the reason for this tractors demise. I'll probably put a Delco in it....What a goose chase!